Some opinions requested

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach I
351c 2v
highly optioned

67 Mustang Convertible
1 of 35 Diamond Blue
Survivor
everybody chime in....

I'm running a 625 Demon just to putz around... but I'm getting closer on dependability so it's time to step up and get her right. 351c .30 over,Performer intake,Holley 750,Doug Thorley headers, Accel dist/coil, MSD brain,Isky Cam .517/ADV Duration 280@ .050 Duration 232 LC 108, based on the components the engine needs more carb IMO. I have an opportunity to trade my Demon for an Eldebrock 750. Both are fairly new carbs so he and I will test this to see if we like this trade.

What is everyones opinion on the Elde' carbs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Edelbrock RAWKS! Seriously, I wouldn't have anything else. One reason is that it'll NEVER leak just sitting there because there are no seals below the top of the float to go bad.

It's also the second easiest carb to tune, aside from an MC-2100.

My pal Jim has had several vehicles over the years with Edelbrock Performers on them and along with my '78 K5 Blazer, has convinced me that those are the way to go.

One friend had a Demon on his '68 396 Camaro SS that had a leak in one of the bowls. He found the leak (a defect in the bowl), sent it back to Barry Grant, got some hick on the phone who obviously didn't know his own product and said he pressure tested it, and sent it back to him still leaking. It's now on a shelf in his garage after he bought an Edelbrock Performer 1406 to replace it.

Just my $.02 :D

Eric to add to that the bowls and air/fuel are a PAIN to adjust. Great IDEA how they set it up, ... but still a pain. I got both looking right tonight which I promised my friend I would do before we traded. Car is running much better. He has a stock 350 so that will work much better on a lower HP engine.

Thanks for the $.02 !!!! :cool:

I vote Edlebrock. The Demon carbs look great but my experiance wasn't good with them & I vowed that I wouldn't own another one. I had the 625 version & traded it to a buddy for a Holley of some sort.

I love Holleys but the Demons are not user friendly for some reason. I had a 625 Demon and it does not respond to tuning like a traditional Holley does. Spent loads of time and money on it and could never get it to work correctly. It would start and idle great. WOT was fantastic. But driving it on the street was horrible. Sold it at a loss and picked up a traditional Holley and its been miles of smiles ever since.

I do recommend the new Summit Racing carbs. I run a 600 on my F-100's 352. A friend has the 750 version on his 350ci Corvette and is very happy. Ford kickdowns and reasonably priced. Just a thought.

Actually I did the opposite. When I bought my car it had a 600 edelbrock on it and I eventually bought a 750 demon for it. I haven't had any problems with the demon, been on the car for over 3 years now.

The edelbrock was easier to tune though. I didn't really think the demon was that hard I just had to pay attention to the directions and the dvd that came with it.

EDIT: I just remembered, I did have one problem with the demon, I couldn't get the electric choke to work correctly. It would just stay closed and make the car flood. I ended up removing it all and warm the car up manually now.

IMO, Edelbrocks suck ass. They are a mild chevy 350 carb. Every Ford I've tried to tune that had em, had an off idle stumble that wouldn't go away. A holley based carb is much more tunable, and parts are more common. They also can suffer from hot start, fuel peculation issues. The edelbrock that was on my F350 was/acted flooded on hot starts. Annoying.

I have one of the summit carbs on my F-350. It uses holley parts. A jet change, and it runs great.

IMO, Edelbrocks suck ass. They are a mild chevy 350 carb. Every Ford I've tried to tune that had em, had an off idle stumble that wouldn't go away. A holley based carb is much more tunable, and parts are more common. They also can suffer from hot start, fuel peculation issues. The edelbrock that was on my F350 was/acted flooded on hot starts. Annoying.

I have one of the summit carbs on my F-350. It uses holley parts. A jet change, and it runs great.
I did have a similar experience on my Malibu SS, boiling gas...... not a good thing..... rerouted the fuel line. Problem solved.

Looks like it all boils down to personal experience - and the "One 'Aw Sh!t' wipes out a Thousand 'Atta Boys'" factor. And there's nothing wrong with that - everybody has different experiences, and sharing only helps one make a better decision.

Seriously though, I don't think calling the Edelbrocks 'mild Chevy 350 carbs' is really fair - my Pal Jim's 63.5 Galaxy 500 XL (390 FE block) is running a 1406... along with his '77 Jimmy (yeah, a 350) and '75 Jeep CJ-5 (AMC 304). The man's been a professional mechanic for almost 40 years, and he swears by them... and has never steered me wrong.

Mine will eventually have some kind of TBI someday down the road, but to get it running and through break-in, I'll be putting a Performer 1406 on top of the matching intake manifold.

I also heard somewhere that the word 'carburetor' is French in origin, and loosely translated means, "Don't f00k with it." ;) :D

Yepper Mister 4by.... everybody has an experience but overall I cant say that I've gotten a positive response on Demon. I used it to get the car going and it happened that I inherited that carb (saved 400.00) through a car purchase /resell. Hell I kept what amounts to 500.00 worth of extra parts out of the car and the carb had never been mounted...in the box so it got the car running until I finished other parts of the project. I've never really liked it though.

I have to say I've always run Holley carbs..Never been disappointed..I recently purchased a new street avenger for the Camaro..Ran perfect right out of the box..I haven't touched it since installing it..The only thing I do while the car is in storage is start & run the car once a month..

I have an Edelbrock carb, and I want to swap it out. I was actually looking into the Holley projection system. I also read a piece in Modified Mustang on a similiar MSD system. The Edelbrock is "user friendly"as far as tuning. But, on really hot and humid days, it is unreliable. I've actually had it cut out on me. They literally boil the fuel away in the carb itself. I would vote for the Holley at this point.

You won't like the contraption you need to buy to make your kick down work with the Edelbrock. Some of the other issues with Edelbrock carbs have been covered. The input on Quick Fuel and the Summit brand carbs is spot on. They both have good drive-ability qualities and make good power. The Summit carb, if it has the Ford kick down, is a bargain at $235 and has annular discharge venturi boosters. In general, I use Holleys due to adjustability, availability of parts, and power production. Holley PN 0-80783C is worth considering. Compare Demon venturis to Holley/Quick Fuel venturis and you'll know why most Demons don't work that great on the street. Whatever you get I hope it works well for you. Chuck

My only experience thus far with Edelbrock carbs is on my wife's K5 Blazer. I swapped on a carb and intake onto a later model 350 that used the CPSI fuel injection. She bought it that way, and I couldn't find brackets for the kickdown, etc.

Anyway, I'd be interested in seeing pics of the Ford kickdown on different carbs if anyone has any. I went with a Lokar throttle and 700R4 kickdown combination on the Edelbrock. Seemed OK.

Edelbrock kickdown:

IMG_03091.jpg

Summit:

IMG_02911.jpg

Back