More rust repair....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71_Stang

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang - project car
I need to repair section of quarter panel connecting to the roof skin. The prior owner had filled in the grove where the vinyl top connected...with bondo. It eventually rotted out the entire section. Has anyone had to repair this area before? How did you do it? I have some 20 gauge I was going to try to match the contour of the current metal and weld it in, but is there an easier way? This section has some pretty advanced contours and I'm not sure my fab skills are up to the challenge.

Member M Beauchamp has a cope roof 4 sale. Check out his post Coupe to Convertible.
That would be great if he lived closer. Shipping would be a PITA from Canada to Arkansas! Thanks anyway!

I need to repair section of quarter panel connecting to the roof skin. The prior owner had filled in the grove where the vinyl top connected...with bondo. It eventually rotted out the entire section. Has anyone had to repair this area before? How did you do it? I have some 20 gauge I was going to try to match the contour of the current metal and weld it in, but is there an easier way? This section has some pretty advanced contours and I'm not sure my fab skills are up to the challenge.
If you post up a picture might be better able to help you

yea, give Scott a picture and he'll tell you EXACTLY what needs to be done.

15nufis.jpg

Here she is...The rust does not go much past where you can see. I think I will need to replace from the roof bend to a few inches past the cancer spot you can see.

15nufis.jpg

Here she is...The rust does not go much past where you can see. I think I will need to replace from the roof bend to a few inches past the cancer spot you can see.
Not really sure you need to do that..Firsts things first..Get everything down to bare metal at least 10 inches below & above the seam the entire length of the seam....using 80 grit on the d.a. or you can use 60 grit then 80 grit flap wheel on an angle grinder..Than spot blast or wire wheel the entire seam..Show me what you have after that.

As Scott said clean it all up first.

That looks more like the factory roof to 1/4 seam than anything from vinyl top trim.

Seam was leaded from the factory.

Vinyl top trim would have had 1/4 in holes and studs for the trim.

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just removed two coupe roofs (to swap one to other) id say 100 percent thats the roof seam. My 71 had all lead. The 72 only had lead at each edge and then bondo in the center

Oh and i would add-- even my "good" roof had rust in this seam. It is not sealed from the back (sealer. Paint. Bahhh says Ford) so its an outstanding breeding spot for rust. From the inside of the car out. There is no access to that area so the best you can do is spray some paint or sealer up in there from behind if your not removing roof. I put a heavy coat of 3m weld thru primer between the two before the new roof went on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back