Weekly Fun Question - Test Your 71-73 Mustang Knowledge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Hi All!

It is that time again where someone has the opportunity to "win" one of those nice #1 Icons in his/her signature block. Be forewarned however as the question this week is going to require knowledge and a bit of thought.

As many of you may know, the 429CJ and 429SCJ were special options in the 1971 Mustangs. The question this week is a two part one and has to do with these two engines. The question is:

Under what circumstance and at what point does a 429CJ engine becomes a 429SCJ by TAKING OFF parts?

As always, responses should be PMd to Rocketfoot and me. The first correct response will be declared the "winner."

Good Luck!

BT

OK - so I'm guessing I'm in the 'swing and a miss' club now. LOL!! :D

Well, so far we have received four (4) responses, but No Cigar!

I will be publishing the final results at 7:00 PM (CST) on tomorrow.

BT

Good Day All!

We received approximately ten (10) different responses to this week's "Fun Question" whereby Members (in different combinations) identified the intakes, lifters, carburetors, rocker arms, pistons, smog pump, oil cooler and the drag pack as being "different" and/or missing on the 429CJ when compared with the 429SCj.

To refresh your memory, the question for this week is:

Under what circumstance and at what point does a 429CJ engine becomes a 429SCJ by TAKING OFF parts?

To reach to correct response, it is necessary to appreciate certain facts. For one thing it is important to know that according to documentation all 429 engines, except the 1970 - 1971 SCJs and the 1971 CJ motors had two bolt main blocks. Again according to certain publications, ALL 1970 - 1971 SCJs and the 1971CJs allegedly had four bolt main blocks.

The 429SCJ engines were built by ADDING parts to a four bolt main block. The most relevant of those parts is the mechanical camshaft and its solid lifters. However, as noted in the first paragraph there were additional changes. It should also be noted that in spite of documentation that state all 1971CJs blocks had four bolt mains, this is not true. I, and many others can attest to having seen a number of D1VE (1971) two bolt main blocks in 1971 429CJ engines. That having been said, ALL 429SCJ blocks had four bolt mains.

Considering the above, any four bolt main 429 engine that is broken down to the block itself is considered a SCJ and the person who came the closest to the correct response was HEMIKILLER.

Again, this question was a bit "tricky" but I believe it is great information for those of you who are thinking of building a 1971 429SCJ motor using a stock block.

GREAT job, Dennis (HEMIKILLER)!!

BT

Congratulations, Dennis!

At least this time I was able to submit a guess, and I think I got it about 15% right. So, can I get about 15% of one of those neat badges? Just so that big empty area below my avatar doesn't look so big and empty, especially when compared to Roy's? :D

Doc

Back