Finally bought my personal car haulers - problem though

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

i purchased the pefect length trailer for the prefect price recently to haul the mustang to shows/races/races/races :D:D.

its a 16x8.5 but only comes with 4 feet ramps. my friends and i played with a certain few ways to do it and nothing works. we tried adding another car ramp tire with the ramps on the car already, fail. i tried putting my truck rear tires on the ramps and pu the short 4 feet ramps on it sit hits the front spoiler really hard but stil, fail.

what is the trick of getting our lowered/front spoiler stangs on the trailers? the u-hauls i always get i would lift the front as much as i can and then the front spoiler would only rub a little bit and it would drive on ok. i think the ramps were at least 8 feet long i think.

ideas? ::help::::help::

Last edited:
Dove tail trailer and longer ramps.
will 6 feet ramps make that much of a difference? this isnt a dove tail, a dovetail was available was it was the narrower model and wasn't only 100 dollars cheaper.

Wish I could help but I have an 18' tilt bed. Is it possible to buy a stinger with about an 8-12" offset, invert it, then jack the trailer up and connect to that while loading/unloading? A bit of a hassle, but would change the approach angle.

Steve

Wish I could help but I have an 18' tilt bed. Is it possible to buy a stinger with about an 8-12" offset, invert it, then jack the trailer up and connect to that while loading/unloading? A bit of a hassle, but would change the approach angle.

Steve
i could invision jacking up the trailer so many inches but you can only jack up the front of the tailer so high before the back end of the truck starts to really lift up and possible pull the tires off the ground.

There is a neat lil gizmo that the rat rod guys use... A buddy of mine has one in the car club in in... I will get the real name from him next meet up... His dodge is inches from the ground andvhe loads it up for long hauls

Steve
+1 on the tilt bed ! I don't use ramps. You need a dove tail like Chuck said, and even then will probably have to jack it up. A cheap trailer is not always cheap in the long run, ask me how I know?:blush:

P2240004.JPG

Jack the front of the trailer up as suggested and stagger stack 2 or 3 2"x12" sections under the end of the ramps (making the ramps longer).

How hard is it to remove the spoiler? :idea: Mayby figured out a quick release to take the spoiler off when towing. I bought an 18 foot car hauler last March, but have had no reason to put a car on it yet. I guess I need to try it out!

Last edited by a moderator:
i purchased the pefect length trailer for the prefect price recently to haul the mustang to shows/races/races/races :D:D.

its a 16x8.5 but only comes with 4 feet ramps. my friends and i played with a certain few ways to do it and nothing works. we tried adding another car ramp tire with the ramps on the car already, fail. i tried putting my truck rear tires on the ramps and pu the short 4 feet ramps on it sit hits the front spoiler really hard but stil, fail.

what is the trick of getting our lowered/front spoiler stangs on the trailers? the u-hauls i always get i would lift the front as much as i can and then the front spoiler would only rub a little bit and it would drive on ok. i think the ramps were at least 8 feet long i think.

ideas? ::help::::help::
I ran into same type of situation, took about 15 minutes to remove the spoiler, quickest solution I could come up with at the time.

I believe the easiest thing to do is remove the front spoiler and that'll gain at least 4-5 inches. I will try to find some layovers or something for now.

Just the jack alone at the lowest point I got a 19.5 trailer height at the back.

Ultimately you will need a more permanent solution as "get me by's" are a pain.

#1 - Consider adding a dove tail to your trailer with the slant and length that you need to properly work with the ramps you have.

#2 - A set of 2X6 ramps with supporting legs that fit in the bed of your pickup might be an inexpensive and not too much hassel way to go.

I used to use my buddies 18ft. trailer and never had a problem with the front spoiler.He had 5 ft ramps with it. Thhe only problem I had was backing it off. The drivers side header would catch coming off. A block of wood under the drivers wheel cured that.

Jim

Ultimately you will need a more permanent solution as "get me by's" are a pain.

#1 - Consider adding a dove tail to your trailer with the slant and length that you need to properly work with the ramps you have.

#2 - A set of 2X6 ramps with supporting legs that fit in the bed of your pickup might be an inexpensive and not too much hassel way to go.
i'm looking into some "layover ramps" but anything over 5.5 long is going to be a little hassel cuz the truck bed is only 5.5 feet long.

I ran into same type of situation, took about 15 minutes to remove the spoiler, quickest solution I could come up with at the time.

Yup..dont take too long..but not something you want to take on and off all the time..lol..My car used to have a front spoiler till bad roads and curbs snapped it...They do look good with spoiler...But wasnt worth the hassle at the time...I mite put one back on when im older and its more of a trailer queen..lol

Yup..dont take too long..but not something you want to take on and off all the time..lol..My car used to have a front spoiler till bad roads and curbs snapped it...They do look good with spoiler...But wasnt worth the hassle at the time...I mite put one back on when im older and its more of a trailer queen..lol

they sure do look good with spoilers but i'm mosly racing mine now and drive it only to work. so off it goes this week or until i load it on the trailer next weekend.

Here is a different but possible solution:

http://www.tiltahitch.com/video.htm

Ray
i'm really liking this. however i did drive my rear tires on my friends truck ramps he uses and still no cigar. i think the ramps were only about 9 inches tall.

Last edited:
I agree removing the spoiler would be a hassle if you're going to be transporting on the trailer often, I removed my spoiler because I only need to transport it once on a trailer.

Might be a silly suggestion but have you tried backing it on?

Hauling a car backwards... beware of the doors not being secured and coming open!

I have seen it happen - following behind! It was a Camaro but still hurt. '93 model, I think.

They were in a hurry - trying to beat the weather and OUCH! Didn't want to take the time to use a strap and rope was not tight enough. At about 65 mph, door opened slightly and the wind caught it!!!

My suggestion- don't do it!

Ray

Back