PASSENGER DOOR RUST REPAIR-PICS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
So I've been working on repairing the rust on the bottom of my passenger door. The door is really solid except for the typical rust through on the bottom and both lower corners..Outside of that it's straight & had no filler at all on it. There was a nice crease though on the rear part of the door..Nothing crazy..So I showed in the 2 videos I did (dent repair 101 part 1 & 2) how I pulled the dent out then went back & smoothed it out with a shrinking disc. Looking at the bottom rust through I figured if I could find the lower half of a door in good shape I could use it to repair the rust issue. 2 members (mach71351c & 72Mike) Had just what I needed. Both were kind enough to cut off the lower part of doors they had & ship them to me. I also purchased a lower door skin from rock auto. I've posted up in the what did you do to your car today thread how I've been repairing the door. This repair took a lot of thought besides a lot work..There's lot's of places to introduce error into the repair since if you don't get it right, the skin will not be located properly nor will the door fit correct to the rocker & jamb...It's why I keep stressing to you guy's about taking measurements & making templates BEFORE you cut anything off. So here's a few more pics..A few things to note is how I cut the splice for the lower section..The same way I showed you guys in the floor replacement video..Came out perfect..I also made a simple template to locate the correct spacing of the grated lower section..I have everything fitted so now it's time to weld up the inner structure. Then move on to the lower section..More pics to come.

100_3398.JPG100_3399.JPG100_3401.JPG100_3402.JPG100_3403.JPG100_3407.JPG100_3408.JPG100_3409.JPG100_3410.JPG100_3413.JPG

Nice work Q

I gave up on mine a long time ago.

If any one else is as brave as you are and attempt this momentous task, they could also use the inside section cougar doors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work Q

I gave up on mine a long time ago.

If any one else is as brave as you are and attempt this momentous task, they could also use the inside section cougar doors.
Thanks M,

It would be a shame not to save this door..everything else was pretty mint plus it's the original door to the car..After I finish this, I'm going to send it out for media blasting.

Back on it, Man need to really finish this up so I can get going on the body work..Very close! Oh & a quick laugh on the last pic..I keep telling Joey to hike his draws up..He's not listening so I decided to drop a coin in the slot

rofl

100_3416.JPG100_3417.JPG

I wonder what comes out when you drop a coin in the slot lollerz

100_3418.JPG

Back