Power Steering Hose Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
Quick one here, guys.

I was out in my '73 on Saturday morning, and when I came home, I smelled something like burning oil. Upon examination, it looked like my drivers side valve cover had sprung a leak. That's something that is annoying, but not overly awful, but I was still a bit annoyed. I dried the valve cover off around the "lip" where the bolts are, and resolved to buy a new valve cover gasket set.

Then yesterday, I was out again, and when I got home, I checked my "leak". It wasn't too terrible but I saw oil around the breather/pcv/oil filler and thought that I was leaking there. However, when I wiped it off with a rag, the fluid was red. At that point, the light came on and I realized that the big, long hose running from the power steering cooler to the steering box was leaking.

So, to make a long story short, is there a quick replacement hose I can buy at a local parts store (size?), or should I go through one of the many Mustang parts houses?

Many thanks!

That, or you could find a local hydraulic hose maker, they usually can make a new hose with your existing fittings.

Right now, the only hose leaking does not have any fittings on it, rather it's just on with hose clamps. I'm guessing that means its a return hose?

That, or you could find a local hydraulic hose maker, they usually can make a new hose with your existing fittings.

Pressure and return lines both have fittings at the steering box.

If you have a ps cooler there would be a small - no fitting hose.

Take it to any local parts store to get a piece that would be cut to fit.

do it right replace the hose. just keep in mind there are 2 types of pressure hoses that were produced on the cars in 73. 1 of them is really long and the excess hose get bundled and put on a bracket that is attached to the shock tower brace. the other 73 pressure hose which was made to replace the long 1 which much better and does not have all of the excess hoes laying around. but whatever you do do not lose that stainless steel line that comes out of the back of the power steering pump. those are kind of hard to find

if you need pictures or other questions pm me

Back