Original wheels and hubcaps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcgill89

Reaction score
My Car
None
I'm considering removing the Keystone Klassic wheels I have on my '73 and going back to the style that it came with from the factory, which is the steel wheels with trim rings and dog-dish style hubcaps. That stuff was standard with the Decor Group, and I'm weird, but I like the look.

Does anybody still make a decent set of trim rings that would work with a set of 14" wheels? I can find tons of the old hubcaps on ebay, etc.

Thanks!

Joe

Joe, I also like the look of our cars with the steel wheels with trim rings and dog-dish style hubcaps. Saw a super clean 71 Mach last year that appeared as if it had just pulled off the assemply line and it had them on, the wheels really set the car off with a natural clean look. You'll have to post a picture after you get them on, good luck.

Jim

Yes - the steel wheels, dog-dish caps and trim rings are nice to see.

So many Magnum 500s! Don't get me wrong, Magnums offer a great look to the cars,

but it is nice to see something else. I apply the same principle to the Boss 351 style stripes vs no stripes for a Mach I. Like them both.

Anyway - the 14" caps and rings are relatively easy to find. I am still looking for some nice trim rings, but for the 15" factory steel wheels.

Ray

They look good with white letter tires but white walls look terrible. They were the first thing I changed on my 73

731.jpg

73.jpg

Those may work, but I think the originals may have been wider and had the hole for the valve more in the middle rather than just a wedge cut out. There was a set sold by motor city mustang last year and the pics are still on this site.

Those may work, but I think the originals may have been wider and had the hole for the valve more in the middle rather than just a wedge cut out. There was a set sold by motor city mustang last year and the pics are still on this site.
Hi Joe you are correct the trim rings are wider. The wheels are wide as well. The wheels 14/7 they can be a little tough to find a good set.The wide trim rings will only fit these wheels. If you put a thinner ring on the gap between the hub cap is to large. I as well like the look of the hubcaps and trim rings. I wood like to find a set of 15s from a Boss 351. Good lock. Mike

moon setting 001.jpg

moon setting 002.jpg

moon setting 003.jpg

Mike,

Thanks! That is great information. The hubcaps are very easy to find, as Ford used them on a bunch of cars.

I'll keep my eyes open for the rims and wheels. However, my car came with F70x14 tires from the factory. Would that be the 14 x 7 wheel or a 14 x 6 wheel?

After some research, it appears that you can get the rings from either mustangsunlimited or specialtywheel.com. At least those rings look like the ones in the pic above.

Hi Joe you are correct the trim rings are wider. The wheels are wide as well. The wheels 14/7 they can be a little tough to find a good set.The wide trim rings will only fit these wheels. If you put a thinner ring on the gap between the hub cap is to large. I as well like the look of the hubcaps and trim rings. I wood like to find a set of 15s from a Boss 351. Good lock. Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

Thanks! That is great information. The hubcaps are very easy to find, as Ford used them on a bunch of cars.

I'll keep my eyes open for the rims and wheels. However, my car came with F70x14 tires from the factory. Would that be the 14 x 7 wheel or a 14 x 6 wheel?

After some research, it appears that you can get the rings from either mustangsunlimited or specialtywheel.com. At least those rings look like the ones in the pic above.

I have a set of original equipment rims, trim rings, hubcaps & white letter T/A radials from a 73 Mach 1 if you are interested. I will confirm that the rims are 7" later tonight if needed.

Let me know

Thanks, Jay

Mike,

Hi Joe.Yes if your car came the Decor Group and hubcaps and trim rings it had 14/7 wheels. Ford used the trim rings on the non chrome magnums all the way threw79.The wheels can be found on Rancheros from 1970-79. As for the hub caps ford maid in 2 sizes a shallow and a deep.You need to find a shallow set.Ford used the deep hubcaps on truck and vans. Mike

Ya i like seeing the hub caps too somtimes....I use to be a big fan of the magnum 500's /american's rims ...And still think they look great.....But alot put them on....Kinda like everyone wearing the same shoes..lol...Sometimes i just like to see something a bit diffrent yet original...Only reason i left my stock slotted mags on..So many camaro freinds tried to get me to put magnum 500's on it...It was hard to resist for last 10 years...glad i stuck to my guns and kept the ones i got..lol

I'm considering removing the Keystone Klassic wheels I have on my '73 and going back to the style that it came with from the factory, which is the steel wheels with trim rings and dog-dish style hubcaps. That stuff was standard with the Decor Group, and I'm weird, but I like the look.

Check these out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/70-71-72-73-Mustang-Mach-1-Torino-Cobra-Cougar-XR7-style-steel-wheels-14x7-RARE-/300677661025?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BUA%252BFICS%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D290672981071%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6960699930296556016

Something just does not look right on those. My original wheels (based on the spare) were not slotted like those.

I suspected as much.

I wasn't going to shell out the $600 for the Buy it Now, regardless.

I could get a set of NEW Mag 500's for that.

Those slotted wheels with flat caps were not mustang

I think mine originally came with dog dishes & rings - which would explain why mine's wearing a set of really old 14" chrome nuggets instead.

I'm not a huge fan of the dog dishes, but they look nice one some cars... I would prefere the sport caps & rings instead (as the '71 I fell in love with 30+ years ago had a set of those).

ford_mustang_hubcaps_1971.jpg

I think mine originally came with dog dishes & rings - which would explain why mine's wearing a set of really old 14" chrome nuggets instead.

I'm not a huge fan of the dog dishes, but they look nice one some cars... I would prefere the sport caps & rings instead (as the '71 I fell in love with 30+ years ago had a set of those).
My 73 convertible came new with Decor option with the dog dishes and rings. Back in the 70's I traded my original set with a friend for the Sportcaps. I kept the Sportcaps on until 2010, then installed a nice set of the 73 Aluminum wheels. I really liked the Sportcaps and had a hard time adjusting to the different look of the car with the aluminum wheels.

Anyway, I like the Sportcaps too. They look real as an NTW put an air gun on the fake lug nut and ripped it off the hubcap! :s

DSCF8167.jpg

DSCF9279.jpg

DSCF9278.jpg

Ya i like seeing the hub caps too somtimes....I use to be a big fan of the magnum 500's /american's rims ...And still think they look great.....But alot put them on....Kinda like everyone wearing the same shoes..lol...Sometimes i just like to see something a bit diffrent yet original...Only reason i left my stock slotted mags on..So many camaro freinds tried to get me to put magnum 500's on it...It was hard to resist for last 10 years...glad i stuck to my guns and kept the ones i got..lol
The best looking 71-73 Mustang I've seen had the steel wheels with trim rings and dog-dish style hubcaps, polished to perfection...they just looked right on the car, maybe because you just don't see them any more on cars.

Back