Vacuum Diagram help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
Click the picture twice to make it larger

i need some help with this diagram. Do the pictures that i inserted line up correctly with the part name in the diagram. There are also a few questions in the diagram that need answered. I appreciate any help. Thank you.

I have 73 Mach, 351w, FMX trans

o6kv46.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct, the line from the vacuum modulator goes to the manifold, on mine the tree is on the manifold.

For the charcoal cannister, the steel line from the gas tank is a vent line that connects to the small nipple on the charcoal cannister. The large fitting is connected to the air cleaner so that the gas fumes are vented into the engine and burned.

I thought so. But the only thing that has me confused is the 2 lines that come off of the transmission. I know one is the modulator. In the diagram, if you follow the lines one goes to the manifold like you said. The other coming off the transmission goes to "emission system", the blue canister. Or is the line that appears to goto the transmission actually the vent tube that goes to the fuel tank?

The original modulators for '73 had two ports and had two vac lines going to them, one slightly smaller than the other. I'll go out to the shop and see if I can find my old one and take a picture of it if you wish.

Steve

Mine is a '71, so there could be some differences. The steel line that is connected to the charcoal cannister runs over towards the brake booster and goes under it and back to the fuel tank.

Ok your right now that i think about it. So the steel line that i have pointed out on my transmission is just a breather? If you notice, it comes out of the side of it, runs along the housing and angles straight down.

Heres an old picture during tear down that shows the steel line that goes from the fuel tank to the canister.

9a1y7n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back