Intro of Myself

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Convertible
Born an I-6, spent the teenage, 20 and 30 years as a 302, but at 40 will reach full potential as a 351C.
I was asked to introduce myself...be careful what you ask for.

Cars Owned/Currently Owned

73-91 73 Mustang Fastback 351C 2V Auto...Stolen 200k+ miles on original motor, trans, paint and interior. Looked and ran brand new. Never ever misfired, sucked oil, or missed a shift. Just changed oil every 3k, tuned every 10k and trans fluid every 100k. Found in 2003. Reported to AAA for the $1000 reward...they didn't pay me anything.

78-80 70 Cougar XR7 Convertible 351C 4v 4 Speed Toploader 9" Posi. Stock. Purchased for $200 with 80K on the motor. It was rust bucket that was dead as a doornail. Changed battery, put in freeze plugs so it would hold water and it fired right up. Changed the clutch once, used a couple of 1 x 4's to keep the driver bucket from falling through the nonexistent floor pan, and replaced the front and rear springs because one of the rear springs rusted through and started coming up through the floorpan in the rear seat....The top was tight though. Scary fast for how scary rusty it was. Sold because some "idiot" offered me $1500 for it...what I would give for that motor/trans/rear end today.

85-Now 70 XR7 Vinyl Top 351W 2V Auto. 180k miles. Fully rebuilt drive train, front end and interior. Great daily driver...yes the rear end turn signal lights work(it is just WRONG for the new Mustangs to have sequential turn signals...just wrong). Sounds like a Mercury should.

88-Now 73 Mustang Convertible Auto

Born an Yellow Paint/Black Int I6.

Spent its teen years as Red/Black 302 pig

Died 2 years ago(Thank you lord), and will be resurrected as a 351 4V daily driver...tame but with an attitude.

I can all my own mechanical/maintenance work. Cannot paint worth a darn, so the body shop will get a ton of my money.

I hate posers, and by poser I mean a guy who:

1. Buys a used classic.

2. Runs it over to the mechanic and drops in a crate engine.

3. Runs it over to the body shop to bump and paint.

4. Runs it over to the upholstery shop to custom fabricate interior.

5. Shows of his car like he spilled his blood all over the car, dirtied his wife's bathroom sink with grease, and left motor oil and tranny fluid on the bed sheets.

I am tired of getting crap parts from the auto store or some not yet named Mustang Specialty Parts Suppliers. I prefer to find OEM parts or rebuild those pieces that I can by myself.

But, I don't mind sharing my opinion...imagine that. Just don't give me crap because I spent enough time on a farm to know BS when I smell it, see it or taste it.

Keep hoofing. Hope I can be of help to the community.

hahahaha One of the best introductions I've seen yet. Welcome to the site I'm sure you'll enjoy it {No posers that I've seen yet} We have some of the best guru's for the big bodied monster mustang out there. I am not one of them hahaha. Just a guy trying to learn.

Again welcome

Welcome to the club! Glad to have you here. Great introduction, by the way. We enjoy reading the stories of our Mustangs and their owners. I think you'll find this website to be a little different than the others.

Doc

PS Any chance we can call you something other than zgwforum? Maybe Z or something? :)

I prefer zgw...short for z great white.

You guys can call me anything but A**H****...that is reserved for the lovely wife.

Welcome to the forums! Glad to have you aboard!

::welcome::

Wow...that is a nice convertible.

Pictures will be here shortly, and if you talk to my engine machinist, shortly means a few months.

Welcome Z! I think you're gonna fit in just fine.

So what happened to the 73? Did it go through hell from 91 to 03?

Welcome Z! I think you're gonna fit in just fine.

So what happened to the 73? Did it go through hell from 91 to 03?
The car was born and raised just outside of Detroit. It was stolen off the street while my brother was sleeping about 40' away.

Most of the pieces were there, color was the same. But the windshield was cracked, a door had been replaced, a dent here and there. Car filled with garbage. The woman said she bought it off of a car lot years earlier.

I am pretty sure AAA took it away from her, which had I known they weren't going to pay me my reward, I would have let her keep it.

::welcome:: Z From San Diego. What part of SoCal are you from. Mike
I am in the thick of things near Angel Stadium, Knott's Berry Farm, Disneyland.

Welcome to the site from West Michigan.

I hope your not a walmart wolverine! :D

No...I am an arrogant asshole, class of 1980. Took my degree and interviewed with GM, Ford, Holley in Michigan. Not one bought me lunch, not one would pay me 90% of what I was worth. Then got a call from Rockwell in Newport Beach California. They put me up for 7 days with a car in a honeymoon suite 2 blocks from the beach (in February) where the weather was 78 degrees every day.

The choice was easy, and now I make my home in the land that once built Stealth Fighters, and Stealth Bombers...that built Chevy's and Pontiac's and Buicks...(pardon me, throwing up)...We made c17, DC10, F16. We made the space shuttle and rocket and warheads...now we make satellites...and aerospace fasteners...It is amazing how fast this state sucked the blood out of all the companies here.

Still, nicer here then Detroit.

Last edited by a moderator:
But, I don't mind sharing my opinion...
Whodathunkit? :D

Well Hi and ::welcome:: to the forum from Luxembourg/Europe.

Reading your description, I would consider myself half a poser, as I got the car used, although in bad shape, had it restored by a shop and have had a crate motor installed two years ago.

But when I got the car I didn't know *%&ç about cars and the car got me started on working on cars. I still don't consider myself a mechanic, but I've started tinkering with it a lot, and I am learning how to make my own mistakes.

So I'll not count myself in. ;)

Oh, and I had a pretty good idea what the car was supposed to look like when I (or those I had work for me) was gonna be done with it.

So what you see here is the end result of a rusty, twisted, originally medium brown convertible that got painted red some time ago, running on painted over Magnum 500 rims.

No...I am an arrogant asshole, class of 1980. Took my degree and interviewed with GM, Ford, Holley in Michigan. Not one bought me lunch, not one would pay me 90% of what I was worth. Then got a call from Rockwell in Newport Beach California. They put me up for 7 days with a car in a honeymoon suite 2 blocks from the beach (in February) where the weather was 78 degrees every day.

The choice was easy, and now I make my home in the land that once built Stealth Fighters, and Stealth Bombers...that built Chevy's and Pontiac's and Buicks...(pardon me, throwing up)...We made c17, DC10, F16. We made the space shuttle and rocket and warheads...now we make satellites...and aerospace fasteners...It is amazing how fast this state sucked the blood out of all the companies here.

Still, nicer here then Detroit.

We must be about the same age. I stayed in Michigan, went through the heyday of the tooling industry that lasted until the mid 90's. When the bottom fell out went into other industries and now work for a general purpose engine manufacturer. I still HATE winter! LOL X2 on how fast a government (and the UAW) can suck the life out of a state.

BTW are you a native Michigander? Where did you grow up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back