Just installed the Polk Audio speakers into the MP Products Kick Panels with pods

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archifx

Reaction score
My Car
72' Mustang Fastback (Mach1 Wannabe :)
I am happy to announce that the installation of the new Polk Audio DXI525 Speakers went flawlessly. They were installed into the MP Products Re-Manufactured speaker-podded kick panels for the 71-73 Ford Mustang. These kick panels are tough and durable. The plastics they use are strong and are not brittle. My biggest fear with this install was the cutting of the plastics. I contacted MP Products and asked what they recommended and their customer service rep suggested a very fine toothed new jigsaw blade. I went out and picked up a set of Bosh blades (shown in pic) and they cut perfectly with no flexing of the plastic.

SEE ALL OF MY PHOTOS ON THE INSTALL HERE

Good info. I plan on replacing my stock door speakers in my deluxe door panels soon, but I want to keep the original grill's. Prefer not to cut the metal door panel's either, but they are odd sized speakers. The repro's I've seen listed look like a smaller speaker with a larger template housing to match the old size.

is that going to interfere with your emergency brake pedal?

i really want to do these instead of door speakers (don't want to hack up brand new door panels) however i'm thinking its going to hit the emergency brake. i have manual car with no NSS so a emergency brake is a must for me.

Yes. They absolutely WILL NOT work if you plan on keeping your emergency brake pedal. I am adding a hand brake to mine when the time comes. My emergency brake has never worked and since my car is an auto and I live in Florida, there really is no need for one IMHO.

Unless you plan on some SERIOUS modification they will not work with the pedal. I couldnt even install them w/o speakers. Pedal got in the way.

That's what I was worried about...the clearence of the e brake. Could you have shimmed the brake pedal out at allso you would have clearence or does the speaker sit too far out?
I had first thought about doing that but there's just no way it would clear the dash frame. It's just too much bulk to safely mount the brake.

That's what I was worried about...the clearence of the e brake. Could you have shimmed the brake pedal out at allso you would have clearence or does the speaker sit too far out?
I had first thought about doing that but there's just no way it would clear the dash frame. It's just too much bulk to safely mount the brake.
Quick update... Getting ready to make a post all about the USA-2 radio sold by Cj's site and the audio quality and ease of install. I also just finished ordering the full stereo system and will be doing a nice little update on that as well. Just need to find the time to get the work done :)

Quick update... Getting ready to make a post all about the USA-2 radio sold by Cj's site and the audio quality and ease of install. I also just finished ordering the full stereo system and will be doing a nice little update on that as well. Just need to find the time to get the work done :)
Update on the parking brake? What hand brake did you use?

I was looking to do the speaker install on my coupe and was trying to decide between a dash or floor hand brake. Then if a floor hand brake where to put it? Wow this gets gets out of control fast! :s

Looks GREAT! I have some Polk Audios of the same series, along with some of those MB Products kick panels. I've been tossing around the idea of re-shaping the e-brake pedal like Greg did, and now that I've seen how well his turned out - most definitely.

Thanks for sharing, guys! ::thumb::

one other thing,

a buddy of mine installed those pods and had issue with reverb from the plastic

So he went back and stuck some sound deadening material on the back side of the pod.

still wasn't enough so he put more material behind the pod in the body cavity.

still wasn't happy and he stuffed fiberglass material inside the body behind the pod.

one other thing,

a buddy of mine installed those pods and had issue with reverb from the plastic

So he went back and stuck some sound deadening material on the back side of the pod.

still wasn't enough so he put more material behind the pod in the body cavity.

still wasn't happy and he stuffed fiberglass material inside the body behind the pod.

Mister4x4 & 72 HCODE,

Thanks for your feedback MISTER4X4.

Hi 72 HCODE,

If you mount the speakers directly onto the plastic kick panels, you're going to get a tinny inferior sound. You will be disappointed. Because there is little to no room in the wall cavities behind the kick panels,you will have to do what i ended up doing and build your speakers out from the plastic kick panels with shaped ply or the sort.

See my pics and post in Austin Verts radio install post. It shows you exactly what i ended up doing. My sound system sounds fantastic, especially the two front main kick panel speakers.

Greg:)

Back