Mini Starter

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What starter is everyone using? I have looked at the small high torque ones but have to make a choice soon.
Im using just a stock replacement from auto-zone. I wouldn't bother with a mini unless you are that concerned with the weight, and I would imagine a regular one would work fine unless you have super high compression.

I am using a stock replacement for my 472 (460 + .060) in the '73 Grande but am going to a "Robb McRobb" mini for the 545 stroker.

When I was running Clevelands, I used the stock replacements with no problems.

BT

Stock replacements have always done well by me.

In the future I'm going to switch to a PMGR starter from the mid 90's Fords. It's a lot lighter, smaller (header clearance) and the cranking power is supposed to be better. I have a used one from a 93 GT that I may use as a core to get a reman from the local NAPA.

stock, I'm actually surprised with the performance of the stock starter.

Found one at a junkyard from a 93 fox body, cranks a lot stronger than the original one especially when I have the timing excessively advanced like it is now.

I would recomend it instead of the original if you are making hi-perf modifications like higher compression, timing etc.

i use a mini high torque starter on my cleveland and it works great, but unless you have a lot of compression i would use a stock one....... just my opinion, they can be expensive just to have one..

I use a mini starter I bought off ebay. Sellers name is dbelectrical(?). Cheap and works well.
Bringing back an old topic to see if anyone's views of running the stock large and heavy hunk of metal has changed. I've got a 351C 4v w/ automatic trans and it's time to replace/upgrade the starter. I too found DBElectrical on ebay and his add says the starter came stock on many models like the 2001 3.8L v6 Mustang. Does anyone know for sure if one from this car will work on a basically stock 351C 4v setup? Did all 2001 3.8L v6's with an automatic trans come with overdrive?

I missed this thread first time around, but I use the stock one. I have a friend that bought the mini starter several years ago and he says its great.

I purchased a 66 stepside F100 for my next project and it has a 390 in it. The original starter is so close to the headers that you might could get a piece of paper between. I was thinking about a mini starter for it. The headers are correct for the vehicle. I have fired it up many times but never really drove it long enough to get it really hot.

Confirmed! I went out and got a mini starter from a 2002 3.8l v6 Mustang with Auto trans. Fits like a glove..Starts great and feels easier to start...Much lighter in weight...Much smaller in size...Less than 20min to install...New Permanent Magnet Gear Reduction (PMGR) Technology solves heat soak... I took the starter and stock wires from the 2002 and this made installation a breeze. The only wire from the stock 2002 harness used was the white/red strip solenoid wire. Now all I needed was asphalt wire sheath to protect the white/red stripe wire and a 10awg eye/ring connector. Here's how I wired it up:

Fat cable from firewall solenoid on "I" side terminal to starter was switched to "S" side terminal and now has constant 12V.

2dw9o5w.jpg

New white/red stripe wire from mini pmgr starter goes to "I" side terminal were fat starter cable use to be and runs down to solenoid on mini starter.

24vvb4l.jpg

Side by Side Comparison

27ypxza.jpg

Starting the 351C with PMGR Mini Starter Video

Have a great weekend!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add my 2 cents: I still use the original one that came with the car. Let´s see how long that on will last.... :)

I have a powermaster mini starter on my 460/532, 12:1 comp. I had a solenoid stick twice now and it it was stuck ON so even after I had the key in my hand not in the ingition and the engine was still trying to turn over. it got hot, really freakin hot. After ripping my negative battery cable off by hand (Ouch-- I got real worried that It was going to start on fire, burn my car, which was in my garage which is connected to the house down) That was over two months ago and so far she cranks like shes brand new still and spins my monster motor over fast, I have full faith in the reliability and durability of these starters. I also have no doubt that I took some of the life off of the starter but I think they can handle a ton of abuse. Expensive yes but I think worth it. I think its awesome that the later model stangs starters "happen: to fit our cars that were made 40 years ago. Freakin cool. If i had a cleveland id probobly go for one of the late model starters unless I had high compression.

Back