Window rattle when closing door

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1, 351 Cleveland, Ram Air (not factory), C6 Automatic, AM/8 Track, Bright Red.
I'm sure you guys can guide me in the right direction. My driver's door window rattles upon closing "unless it's rolled all the way up". My passenger door is fine. I changed the belt line fuzzies (both inner and outer) hoping that would resolve the issue but it didn't... they needed to be changed anyway. Any suggestions?

Jim

We had both doors gone over when we got the Mach 1 and found all the window guts were loose. After tightening everything up, it really helped but there is still an inherent rattle when the door slams shut (Window down)

I'm not sure how to completely quiet the rattling??

Make sure the glass isn't going down too far, so that it is below the inner and outter belts. The only other thing is the nylon grommet that rides up and down on the "glass run" rod. If it is worn or missing you'll get a lot of rattles.

Make sure the glass isn't going down too far, so that it is below the inner and outter belts. The only other thing is the nylon grommet that rides up and down on the "glass run" rod. If it is worn or missing you'll get a lot of rattles.
Now I'm wishing I would have taken some pictures of the inner door while I had the door panel off changing the belt line fuzzies...but I just assumed it was the dried out worn fuzzies allowing it it to rattle. I had a heck of time getting the driver's door panel to snap back on...almost reached for the superglue:s

Not sure if you have tried this yet or not. I went through the beltline felt replacement as well but while I had the interior out for paint I also adjusted the metal window guides that are bolted to the inside of the door. I can't remember how many there are per door but 2 seems right. If my memory serves correctly they have a soft fabric on the curved part at the end that rests/ puts a little pressure against the window glass. I've attached a photo that shows a little part of one. It is just below the door lock rod and has some blue overspray on it from the paint job. They pivot toward or away from the glass when the bolts are loosened. Hopefully you can see the part in this attached pic. The bolt to adjust it is pretty much dead center of the image.

IMG_1442b.jpg

Not sure if you have tried this yet or not. I went through the beltline felt replacement as well but while I had the interior out for paint I also adjusted the metal window guides that are bolted to the inside of the door. I can't remember how many there are per door but 2 seems right. If my memory serves correctly they have a soft fabric on the curved part at the end that rests/ puts a little pressure against the window glass. I've attached a photo that shows a little part of one. It is just below the door lock rod and has some blue overspray on it from the paint job. They pivot toward or away from the glass when the bolts are loosened. Hopefully you can see the part in this attached pic. The bolt to adjust it is pretty much dead center of the image.
Yes I do remember that piece of material pushing against the window, thanks for pointing out where the bolt to adjust is located, I 'll give that a try when I take the panel off, I also follow up on the other recommendations...I should have posted this prior to doing my beltline felts, would have saved me from taking the panel off again.

Last edited by a moderator:
My window was hitting the back of the door speaker. I put some thin foam on the back of the speaker and that helped the rattle.

Just cahttp://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-Ford-Mustang-front-door-anti-rattle-window-guides-/140568817694?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20ba8df01e&vxp=mtrme across this on ebay

OPN Pony is only half right; the 'pressure guides' do adjust window psi on the outside felt, helping water sheilding.

BUT, and this is from age,

I've had my DRIVERS side stripped for some time, the rattle is from the spot welds allong the top inner "box frame" of the door.

watch the inside felt, or top of the door interior, with window rolled down, and shut the door. you'll see it kindof shake, do the same thing to the other side, it wont. FIND the seperared spot welds and RIVET them back together.

Back