air cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
I just got done putting this motor in. It is the c 2v, I added power steering and kept the factory A/C. Well i was quick to find out that my air cleaner will not work due to the hei. I was hoping someone could help me find a way I could find another one that would work that will allow me in the future ( very soon) place the actually ram air system on there.

I am not sure where to start but know it can be done and bet you have the answer.

STANG OUT

here is a pic of the engine. Again the factory air cleaner is simply to big at the base to fit. Not sure what to do.

PC280160.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
IMAG1671.jpg

Ya just use an air cleaner spacer. They are cheap. I have an msd pro billit dist and it was hitting the distributor. I had to space it 1.5 inches. Actually 1.25 woulda worked. I still have clearance to lower it.

well my old dis was straight garbage, I picked this one up for 25 bucks so figure it couldnt hurt. If i get that spacer can I still use the ram air

I think the spacer may raise the air cleaner to high, let me look and see if i have a spare distributor. Had a couple but do not know if i still have them.will let you know this weekend

Get a Ford duraspark distributor, use it to trigger MSD, use a small cap and points style wires, and you can clear the ram air setup.

IMG_15161.jpg

Hey Russ hows it going brother, I thought you might like this site, think i have been here a year and have not found another site where the members are as friendly and eager to help someone with questions or problems. Very supportive group of guys here

Not sure how high you need it to be. Im willing to bet that the rubber will be pretty tight on the air cleaner

Get rid of the HEI as others suggested. The right sheet metal worker could eventually make some contraption work but the distributor would still be floating in the punch bowl. You only have $25 in so not much lost. Chuck

It will cost you more to make the ram air work witha $25 distributor than it will to get the right distributor.

Man, that HEI is ugly on the front of a cleveland. I need to go wash my eyes out. :)

I'm sure there is more to come from other members on this. And since I'm installing a Ram Air set up in mine I'll be paying close attention.

Hey Russ hows it going brother, I thought you might like this site, think i have been here a year and have not found another site where the members are as friendly and eager to help someone with questions or problems. Very supportive group of guys here

P3050006.JPG

Just having a little fun, but as has been said will take more to work around it than to just toss it. Ran into some problems with my ram air due to the new heads raising the intake to high. There is not alot of room to play with. A intake with any kind of rise can cause issues. I. for now, have just went with a low profile K&N. Good luck

Back