351C Engine Rebuild Part 74B

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Ya know, sometimes you just gotta laugh, because if you don't, you cry.

So the Power Steering pumped finally arrived last week, and I went down to NAPA to pick it up. Gotta get the pulley off so that I can trade in the pump core. I don't have a tool, but the kid takes pity on me and pulls one off the shelf, opens it up, uses the tool to finally get the pulley off and I thank him muchly and am on my way. Spend a couple hours cleaning up the pulley, a couple coats of primer, engine enamel and finally cough up $20 for the installation tool and started wrenching that bad boy onto the new pump.

Check alignment frequently, wrench until it won't go any more and then wrench some more. Perfect! Test fit it and wonder what the heck? How does this thing attach to the engine? Bracket, what bracket? Call NAPA - did they ship my core back yet? Nope it's right here, but we close in 15 minutes. "I'll grab some tools and be right down!" Get down there and bless the kid's heart, he's already got the bracket off and I'm once again out the door and back home. Spend a couple hours cleaning up the bracket(s) and painting, etc. "Hmm... how do you get that blasted bracket on???" Of course, you have to take the fruitin' pulley off to install the bracket. Should I push my luck and ask to use the NAPA tool again. Probably not. What to do? Pay $39.99 for the removal tool?

So, it's to the school's auto shop and sure, they've got the tool, and a kid does the whole MaryAnne in about 5 minutes. This is what it looks like now:

PS Pump Finished.JPG

Nice, huh? So what is that forked separate piece next to the return tube? Is it supposed to be there and is needed? or can I pitch it?

And this is what the engine looks like at this stage:

PS Pump and alternator installed (Small).JPG

Slow and steady ......

FREAKEN SWEET!! Lookin' awesome! Can't wait to hear about the first firing.

Looking good! By the way I',m assuming that's a model 2750 intake, do you recall which gasket you used? I tried two different gaskets that were "suppose" to work with intake and the cleveland 351 and they just wouldn't line up correctly with the intakes on the heads...so I ended up making my own gasket. If it blows I'm back at the drawing board and prefer not to have to do that again.

in the motor pic is that the orange rubber gasket or is that orange permatex? I never use the rubber gaskets on the end of the intakes, they always seems to squish out and leak. I usually use a nice bead of black rtv at the ends. But nice job and the motor is looking great!!!

Looking good! By the way I',m assuming that's a model 2750 intake, do you recall which gasket you used? I tried two different gaskets that were "suppose" to work with intake and the cleveland 351 and they just wouldn't line up correctly with the intakes on the heads...so I ended up making my own gasket. If it blows I'm back at the drawing board and prefer not to have to do that again.
Yep, Jim, that's a 2750 Edelbrock. I had to modify the gasket so the ports would line up by cutting out some holes for the "installation tabs" on either end that help hold it in place while installing the intake (I bought an engine rebuild gasket set, but can't remember if the intake gasket came with that set or with the Intake Manifold, or even if I bought it separately. Sorry.... :huh: )

in the motor pic is that the orange rubber gasket or is that orange permatex? I never use the rubber gaskets on the end of the intakes, they always seems to squish out and leak. I usually use a nice bead of black rtv at the ends. But nice job and the motor is looking great!!!
It's orange Permatex that I'm going to have to clean up a little better. You're absolutely right - never use the rubber gaskets on these intakes. And thanks for the compliment! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
FREAKEN SWEET!! Lookin' awesome! Can't wait to hear about the first firing.
Eric, I don't think I've ever heard anyone so jacked about a rebuild coming together, including ME! :p Your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated!! dancebanana

Doc
Hey Man - I always secretly wanted to be a cheerleader, but couldn't quite pull-off the right look with the uniform. ;) Besides, I'm not quite to your point yet, so anything you share becomes reference materials for me. :D

Plus - it's been a long time coming and you're so close to being done. I'm gonna keep buggin' ya so ya don't slow down or get off-track now. :cool:

Eric - you got it, Buddy! I still have the radiator, fan, fan pulley, trans cooler, etc, etc and wiring to clean up and paint and install, but I'm making progress every day, almost. Feel free to "bug" me all you want, 'cause encouragement helps at this point in the game. :D

Doc

I had to laugh at your story. I knew when you said you didn't have the bracket on that you were going to figure out it goes on BEFORE the pulley.

Autozone and Checker have the pullers as 'loaner' tools.

Looking good!

Back