STANG PROGRESS--VIDEO

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Q code Mach 4spd
2004 350z
2005 Corvette
1971 Camaro SS/RS
Just a quick video of where I'm at ..Man that door repair was something else..As Doc said..sometimes you just have to laugh otherwise you cry :mad:

coming along nicely Scott, Didn't really want to hear the door was a PITA cause i have to repair my drivers door along the bottom as you did on your door, but oh well all a part of the fun

Nice work on the door Q. Sorry to hear about the quarter. I pretty much always live by the adage (and I know you do as well) "if you want it done right, do it yourself."

Last edited by a moderator:
too bad about the 1/4

But its nice to see things coming together
Yea B..Most people would leave it...But I've learned over the years that sometimes you have to bite the bullet & do stuff over to make it correct..& At the level I'm taking this car to I have no choice..

Scott - great attention to the details.

Have a quick question - why do so many want to go for the OEM full quarter when most of the damage could be repaired using a lower quarter skin? It really seems like you/they are taking on a lot of extra work?

To someone that knows very little about body work, the skin seems better; if you don't mind seeing that seam inside the trunk?

That is the only advantage I could think of...

As always - THANKS for letting us learn from your videos & posts!

Ray

Scott - great attention to the details.

Have a quick question - why do so many want to go for the OEM full quarter when most of the damage could be repaired using a lower quarter skin? It really seems like you/they are taking on a lot of extra work?

To someone that knows very little about body work, the skin seems better; if you don't mind seeing that seam inside the trunk?

That is the only advantage I could think of...

As always - THANKS for letting us learn from your videos & posts!

Ray
Ray..To do a quarter skin is actually more work than doing a full quarter panel..& takes more skill...First off you have to section in the skin..to do it correctly without a overlap requires a butt weld..It takes an enormous amount of time to do that all around the Joint..Too much heat at one time & the panel warps & shrinks..Then you have to grind & metal finish that joint..Then you have to body work that joint..Very few body guys have the skill set to do it that way..Nor do most customers want to pay to have it done doing a butt weld vs an overlap..So thats why you see them overlap the joint 98% of the time.....There is nothing like the fit..Finish & quality of o.e.m parts...vs after market..

Hey Scott Nice job on the door.I knew you had your hands full on that job.Bet your glad to have it be hind you. My brothers Boss 302 had a OEM quarter put on it before he bought it in 79. The Hack who Installed it put to far back. My brother had allot of hours in that quarter witch he had to align the rest of the car to it. The door jam was a mess.

Nice work Scott to bad about the f!@# ups. I agree with you 100% take it off and do it right. But it sucks it's one thing when you screw up but when someone else does after you told them to wait. That is aggravating.:mad:

Hey Scott Nice job on the door.I knew you had your hands full on that job.Bet your glad to have it be hind you. My brothers Boss 302 had a OEM quarter put on it before he bought it in 79. The Hack who Installed it put to far back. My brother had allot of hours in that quarter witch he had to align the rest of the car to it. The door jam was a mess.
Thanks M.. Yep lots of hacks out there:dodgy:

More hacks than people with REAL skills capable of quality work

I think the mind set out there is "A bunch of filler & paint will make it what it ain't"

Well I posted up today's progress in the what you did to your car today thread. But here it is again.

Got the quarter off today..Was a bitch to do it nicely so the quarter can be reused.. But we made it happen.. Decided to scuff up the inner structure & give it a fresh coat of rust bullet...So hopefully by next week should have the new one welded on..I have a possible deal on selling it but first cash gets it Looking for $550.00 Totally usable just gonna need some cleanup & a few small dents removed..Not a big deal.. Oh & to add to Boss1Ray's question about doing a full otr vs an aftermarket skin..Having the entire qtr off allows you to fully remove any rust in the inner structure & then protect it with rust bullet..Just like in my pictures..Something you can't do just sectioning in a skin..

100_3447.JPG100_3450.JPG

Nice work Scott to bad about the f!@# ups. I agree with you 100% take it off and do it right. But it sucks it's one thing when you screw up but when someone else does after you told them to wait. That is aggravating.:mad:
Thanks E !...Yep gotta bite the bullet sometimes & do what you gotta do !

Back