Paint color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
Okay as most of you know the car is all foctroy minus what I did to the engine, but that was for the better of the car,lol.

Now I will be getting close for paint and wanted to get your thoughts on whether I should paint it the factory 5A silver pewter or should I go with any color.

Now I know I am going to get alot of people telling me what color, but I am looking to find out if I should keep the factory or not.

I know these cars are not sought out as much as others and the color is quite ugly as you can see, but....

STANG OIUT

Before the body work.jpg

34huic8.jpg

i like the pewter! mine was yellow when i bought it but i decided to go back to th factory color.

Now I know I am going to get alot of people telling me what color, but I am looking to find out if I should keep the factory or not.
I'll lay 5 to 1 that alot of people are going to say "Do it the way that makes you happy". Since you're not doing a concourse restoration, the color will have little to do with the resale value, unless, of course you paint it like this:

purple car.jpg

JK. It's yours, so you get to make the decision and pay the price. :) Me, I'm into factory colors, but again, that's just me.

Doc

I lean toward the original color, but you should pick a color that you are happy with. Another thought is how detailed of a restoration are you going to do. It's hard to paint all the areas a different color without the original color showing somewhere unless you are taking it all apart.

Okay as most of you know the car is all foctroy minus what I did to the engine, but that was for the better of the car,lol.

Now I will be getting close for paint and wanted to get your thoughts on whether I should paint it the factory 5A silver pewter or should I go with any color.

I know these cars are not sought out as much as others and the color is quite ugly as you can see, but....

I would say if you want to keep it factory and if it has all matching #'s then keep it. I'm a firm believer of doing what you like. I'm building my 72 starting on the front end and sometimes I get caught up in using the right colors for each part. At this point I'm doing what makes me happy and what I want the car to look like (resto) so I'm not worried what anyone else thinks.

Basically if you want to show the car as a piece of history (as it rolled out of the factory) then keep the color. If you don't enjoy the color after new paint and don't care about what it looked like on day one, then paint it a color you will enjoy.

I would say if you want to keep it factory and if it has all matching #'s then keep it. I'm a firm believer of doing what you like. I'm building my 72 starting on the front end and sometimes I get caught up in using the right colors for each part. At this point I'm doing what makes me happy and what I want the car to look like (resto) so I'm not worried what anyone else thinks.

Basically if you want to show the car as a piece of history (as it rolled out of the factory) then keep the color. If you don't enjoy the color after new paint and don't care about what it looked like on day one, then paint it a color you will enjoy.
x 1 I like Yellow and black myself :D

X2 on its your do what you want. But on paint make sure its really what you want because if done right it will take a total dis assembly to change it. Stock or not goes along with like has been said what you want to do with the car. For me my car was never intended to be a concourse resto so I did whatever I wanted.

I repainted my car yellow because I too was not restoring to factory. Factory was saddle bronze. Not very flattering or valuable if returned to original, so I didn't have any reservation going the way I wanted with the paint color choice. In the end, it's what I wanted and glad of my decision.

I'm all about the restomod. You have to ask yourself what the car will be for. Concours resto/taking it back to original? Stock color. Driver that you like to look at? Paint it whatever you like. However, listen to Roy. Make sure you like the color getting laid down because it'll be expensive to change later.

I'm with sm3570 - I like the restomod. sounds like you don't want the silver, so go with the color you want. If its gonna be your car, you better like looking at it. Better to go googly eyes on a car that's yours to drive than someone else's.

Well thank all of you I think I will stick with factory and add the spoiler and made the hood detail in flat balck to match the rear spoiler. Thunder that car should be burned for being that color

STANG OIUT
Do what makes you happy like everyone else says..I wouldnt worry about it...She can be repainted original the day it becomes a big deal....So many good color choices out there...Plenty of stock colors...I like the silver ones..But its not my first choice on colors...I like my red heads ..But i all so really got a eye for the reverse color of your car...The black mach 1 with silver stripes...like the dark green ones too....I think besides the pink one posted above....There is not a stock mach 1 color that i dont like!! hehe

One more thing to think about..Silver paint is a nightmare too take care of in the long run...Cause of the metal in the paint starts too loose its bond...Reason why you see silver cars with paint falling off alot..lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Back