new gas tank

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
I got my tank, peacok seal and sender. I have them all ready to go just want to make sure there is nothing else I need to do. I could not find a blow off valve so I am using my old one. It is still good that foam type material that was inside was rotten so I took it out.

Do i need to put something else to replace or simply put it back in. I also assume I need to prime the tank but I have no idea.

Again everything is new expect that little pressure or blow off piece that goes on top.

Thanks in advance. one step close to hear her fire for the first time in five years. Not worried about my exahust the neig. can deal with it,lol.....

STANG OUT

You have everything needed as I did the same job a few months ago,

Clean and prime/paint the tank to prevent rust

connect vent on top

slip it under the car and connect the vent hose

lift and brace the tank in the air w/ some wood or whatever is handy

Align the tank where it should be and connect the 2 straps

pop on the sender / petcock unit

attach hose and sender connector plug to sender petcock unit

Done

I saw a video on youtube if I find the link I will post it for you

AJ

I cannot put the peacock in until the tank it put back though right, otherwise it wont fit. I know thei si a dumb question but what piece fit in tank and what piece stick out. I got the new seal but looks like it will go either way.

I cannot put the peacock in until the tank it put back though right, otherwise it wont fit. I know thei si a dumb question but what piece fit in tank and what piece stick out. I got the new seal but looks like it will go either way.
That is correct only put it on after the tank is in place,

put the gasket in first (sometimes its easier if you coat it in something like a little smear of greese to keep it in place),

then place the sender over it and align it with the spout facing toward the engine and fuel hose

then place the locking ring on it and rotate it untill the sender is pressed firmly against the gasket (you may have to tap the ring to help rotate it)

connect fuel hose and elect conector and done

AJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay I did get the top blowoff valve in enough though it didnt want to go, and i am not sure the correct way to put in the sender, Common sense would say put it in so the float will move freely, but I am not sure what the out piece should look like or face once it is in there correctly. Any advise

Okay I did get the top blowoff valve in enough though it didnt want to go, and i am not sure the correct way to put in the sender, Common sense would say put it in so the float will move freely, but I am not sure what the out piece should look like or face once it is in there correctly. Any advise
install with float in down position and the fuel line hook up faces toward the front of car at a slight upward angle and the wire hook up is on top

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet brother I got it in there and that peacock was a pain to get back in I put some lube on it to help it set right. I still think I put that seal for the neck backwards but we will see son enough, lol.

Yeah I was just going to clean mine out but I saw way too much rust and when I went to acid it, a pin hole showed up so it was just eaiser. I hope I put everything in there, we shall see soon

Back