Power Steering help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger1197

Reaction score
My Car
2006 FORD GT
2011 FORD GT500
2011 FORD RAPTOR
1972 MACH 1 Q CODE
2013 GT500
Appreciate the help on this guys..................

Had a minor leak on the power steering hose that runs from the cooler to the steering box, took the hose off and got a new one made up at a local hose shop using the original fitting for the steering box end, fitted the new hose, topped the fluid level to check what I lost from the hose removal with ATF as per the dipstick instruction.

Fired the motor and did the usual lock to lock to bleed the system but no power assistance unless I increase motor rpm's.

Thinking it was air took the car for a short round town drive where after less than a mile I lost all power assistance so headed back to my shop, checked under the hood, no leaks, cooler cold, pipes cold but pump casing hot, left it for a while & tried again, have assistance if I rev the motor but nothing at idle ................. any ideas?

Thanks again, appreciate any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it still full after driving? Is it making any ugly noises? Is the belt tight (long shot)? The pump could be bad due to being driven with low/no fluid. My experience is they are pretty hard to kill but it can be done. There is a rebuild kit available assuming the major components are not beyond using.

Chuck

Believe it or not the more modern pumps will actually fit our cars - I can't remember the designation but they are the typical 5.0 pumps from the 90's. They are quiet and reliable. You can also run an external reservoir with one if you choose though it makes them noisier.

Maybe you have a restriction, or blockage in the hose that is preventing the fluid from flowing.

Thanks guys..........

It is the original factory pump, belt tension is ok, no blockage, worked perfectly before I changed the return hose, no noises, its still on full dipstick marker after driving & I topped up the fluid loss after fitting the new hose so the pump did not run dry.

Here's a result though that may help others, left the car over night & spoke with a few local guys who said its the same system used in our (British) Ford Capri's in the 70's/80's ...... trick is to jack the front wheels free so pa requirement is virtually nil, fire the motor and do the lock to lock procedure a couple of times before the fluid heats up to bleed the air from the system ....... which I did this morning and it worked!!!

Still waiting to test drive as I had to shoot off for a site job but dropped the wheels back to the floor 1st & seemed ok

:):):):):):):):)

I just bought my power steering pump with gear box, well when I say just bought I mean 08. Until now I did not get much time between deployments to do much to the car. Now I am pretty deep into it, I got my box on and have it filled with PSF and I hopefully be able to check it today. Good luck with yours

So, rentascout you bring up a good point... the old pumps used ATF (Type F) I'm pretty sure as was suggested earlier in this post. I used Power Steering fluid when I installed my new steering gear on the car... this was many years ago and I haven't driven the car except around the block... now not at all since the motor and tranny are out.

Any opinions on what fluid to use? I suppose if you have the original pump and gear, then stick with ATF. I will probably go with a pulley and accessory setup when the time comes, so whatever that pump recommends (hopefully power steering fluid!) is what I'll end up using...

Moving on a little, after a long spell of bad weather & busy with work I tried out the car today & while I have some power assistance I still have a problem!

Its the original pump with 34k miles use, the fluid is ATF, its new & the level checked when hot is ok, the belt is tensioned correctly, I dont have any leaks & I didnt have a problem before changing the hose which was leaking slightly at the steering box connection.

Here's the problem/observations ..........

Motorway driving at 70/80 mph ....... I get the feel for level of assistance, make a minor correction, after the initial steering input the level of assistance increases slightly creating an over correction!!!

Urban driving ......... as above but not quite so dangerous, seems I dont have constant pressure.

Any ideas/help appreciated as always

I'm done with this, trash/debris is possible, apparently power steering hoses degrade from the inside by the make up of the fluid.....

Mine have almost been standing for 40 years, maybe I disturbed something when I changed the hose or maybe I wrecked the almost done pump seals when I primed it after replacing the hose.

I already replaced all my steering linkages & suspension, the steering box etc check out ok so new pump, hoses & fluid should do the job!!!

Now to find replacements............................

Thanks guys

:-/

Yeah mine is leaking from the rear somewhere just have not been able to get under it.

I have heard flushing it could help, I read the gears gum up

Mine have similar problem, havent had time to work it out yet.

I believe there is a valve inside the pump?, might be the valve sticking/not opening correct?...

correct me if wrong:)

I pulled the pump & hoses off today ................ the pressure hose to the steering box (original equip) was starting to break apart inside as was the short hose from the cooler, the recent new hose was obviously ok.

The ATF fluid emptied from the pump reservoir was good on the dipstick & ok to start with but as it drained became more contaminated with "dust" ...... some of it metallic!!

I tracked down a recon. pump complete with reservoir at Rock Auto, also got a new pressure hose and a filter that fits in the return hose, got three filters, two to flush the steering box with new fluid prior to fitting new pump & one to leave in line.

Only downside is Rock Auto international shipping charges, parts being shipped from three different warehouse locations so I get to pay £182 for £53 worth of parts.

:(:(

You can probably try just flushing the entire system again. As you stated the hoses break down from the inside and create pumping issues. You have nothing to lose by recharging the system, running it for a while until hot and draining again. I'd do it with the wheels in the air.

You can probably try just flushing the entire system again. As you stated the hoses break down from the inside and create pumping issues. You have nothing to lose by recharging the system, running it for a while until hot and draining again. I'd do it with the wheels in the air.
Thanks, I did try that, improved the ps a little but now the pump squeals & "grinds" so new pump time I think.

Thanks, I did try that, improved the ps a little but now the pump squeals & "grinds" so new pump time I think.

Good choice. Good luck. It has to be able to stop before it can go, and you need to be able to steer lest the need the stop.

Back