rear window replacement 2nd try

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
Okay I already replaced this window seal once, but for some reason the lower corners still leaked. I just ripped it back out and I have the seal inside warming up.

I need some insight on anyone who has done it so I can make this the last time.

I also have an extra seal if anyone needs one. It is brand new in plastic came with my weatherstrip kit and I hope I wont need it.

I plan to strip and clean the area really well then make sure rust has not come back, I am also thinking placing cauking around it after seal is in place. A small bead of course nothing huge but I cannot afford for this to leak again and destroy all the work I have done on the inside.

Please anyone help

Okay I already replaced this window seal once, but for some reason the lower corners still leaked. I just ripped it back out and I have the seal inside warming up.

I need some insight on anyone who has done it so I can make this the last time.

I also have an extra seal if anyone needs one. It is brand new in plastic came with my weatherstrip kit and I hope I wont need it.

I plan to strip and clean the area really well then make sure rust has not come back, I am also thinking placing cauking around it after seal is in place. A small bead of course nothing huge but I cannot afford for this to leak again and destroy all the work I have done on the inside.

Please anyone help
Humm..I'm glad the entire inside inner structure of my car is going to be sealed with rust bullet..Plus the new qtrs have spi epoxy primer on the entire inside before installation..Your up against a poor design of the rear qtr window seal..What I'm going to do on my car is lay a small bead of black silicone on the seal (fuzzie) BEFORE I install it ..I'm then going to mask off the rear corner & front & fill these areas with black silicone.Then tool it smooth & blend it to the seal .

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I cleaned the surface pretty well and I sit the window in the seal, it is a little loose but I dont think that will be a big issue. I noticed that it has drip rails at the bottom running into the trunk, Ill make sure they do not get clogged up. I have heard a lot of bad things about this window and seal but I am going to make it work. I think some small sealent will be going in once I place the seal. What are you putting on your seal prior too? Thanks Q

I was reading a post from one of the techs on here and he said to use foam weatherstrip tape. I dont know what type. I see foam, rubber, and there are so many different sizes and shapes really gets confusing

Yeah I cleaned the surface pretty well and I sit the window in the seal, it is a little loose but I dont think that will be a big issue. I noticed that it has drip rails at the bottom running into the trunk, Ill make sure they do not get clogged up. I have heard a lot of bad things about this window and seal but I am going to make it work. I think some small sealent will be going in once I place the seal. What are you putting on your seal prior too? Thanks Q

I was reading a post from one of the techs on here and he said to use foam weatherstrip tape. I dont know what type. I see foam, rubber, and there are so many different sizes and shapes really gets confusing
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/3523/=gkz9za Closed cell

I got it out , cleaned up and now I set my new rear panels in and now I dont know which rear window seal to use. They both look the same, but one of them is just harder. Not sure it will really matter, but figured someone might have some info for me

P3090039.JPG

remember to put the closed cell foam down first around the ledge. put the seal around the window and put the rope inside the rubber lip so you can pull the seal around the ledge.

the foam fills the gap between the seal and the ledge.

when done you have to go back and back fill the ledge/rubber seal area with weather sealant. Spackle that sealant in right to the top, just enough so the chrome trim still fits.

90% it will still leak so it matches factory.... :)

one mistake people make is when they install the headliner they wrap too much of the material around the rear window ledge, that will act as a big water leak, once the material is glued down, for the headline go back and trim it off the ledge give it maybe a 1/4" of overlap this way the headliner material does not go past the sealing area and act as a water bypass to the seal.

So is it face to say that either seal will work. I have two that are in good condition. I will get that foam dealer today and I got 3m dealer to go around seal window and frame once it is in. We shall see

Good luck with you're rear window. I also replaced my rear window seal recently, it's better now but if I'm out in the rain "to long" I'll still get a small amount of water into the trunk from the bottom left corner of the window. I just try to avoid getting it out of the garage when it rains but of course here in Washington you never know, it can be sunny and before you get home from a cruise raining. Keep us informed of how it turns out.

Yeah I got to go up there at lewis and it came and went and then came right back. It was not heavy just enough to make you mad.

okay I got it in and I am very glad that my car was not painted due to the amount of mess I made. The two top areas did not fold down the way I hoped so if any of you are having a bad day I hope this pic helps

P3120002_01.JPG

where did you get your new sail panels from?

okay I got it in and I am very glad that my car was not painted due to the amount of mess I made. The two top areas did not fold down the way I hoped so if any of you are having a bad day I hope this pic helps
The rear window on these cars car be a real bear to get it right..It really just takes a bunch of time & you have to go slow..One thing you should have done is to "cut in" or paint the inner lip..From your picture it looks like you left it in primer? If you didn't use epoxy primer it will start to rust..Regular primer is porous..& offers no protection what so ever..So to any one installing a rear window The entire flange /lip should be coated with either rust bullet OR epoxy primer first..Then you shoot your car color inside the entire edge on top of that. Then do your install

Q u are killing me brother,lol...... I used epoxy because did nor have an idea what to use. I had my buddy hit it for me. I got the panels from npd. That window was not fun there was a lot of pounding and double checking. I think I got it back in right I will see. I was going to go with rust protector around that edge until I get it painted. I got the pair of panels for like 35 or so. I got the a few years back and just got it back in.

Q I am sorry it was not espoxy he use a preventor and sealed it. I wanted to make sure so I called him. I took down my redneck boards and the seal fits good might have to seal up the outside one more go just for GP. I used 550 cord to rope it in and it work like a dream. Thanks to everyone on here and the forum helpful site that had the step by step instructions.

Back