Pics of race style paintjobs?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
I´ve always been a sucker for race paintjobs on classic cars, so.....

Does anyone have pics of 71-73 Mustangs finished in vintage NASCAR or Trans Am style paintjobs?

There are quite a few pre 71s to be found, but hardly any of the real Mustangs ;).

I don´t mean funny cars, dragsters and such, but cars that look like old racers, something like the Terlingua Mustangs or the Parnelli Jones Fastbacks, or Petty´s blue #43 Mopars.....That kinda stuff.

I´ve always wanted to have a car done in such a finish but as I have a convertible it would not really work, unfortunately.

I found only these 3 pics, so share yours if you got some.

mach1WES.JPG

mach1WES1.jpg

mach1WES2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
71Mustang-RoadRacer_01.jpg

71-73Mustang-TA_06.jpg

David%20Jamieson%20Boss%20Mustang%20Sandown%20Sept%2074.jpg

David%20Jamieson%20Boss%20Mustang%20Sandown%20Nov%2074.jpg

MUSTANGATAmDTmwklLv8.jpg

mustangoncircuitTapwrtki.jpg

24870213-635-1971-Ford-Mustang-Mach-1-Vintage-Race-Ca.jpg

Does anyone have pics of 71-73 Mustangs finished in vintage NASCAR or Trans Am style paintjobs?

There are quite a few pre 71s to be found, but hardly any of the real Mustangs ;).

I don´t mean funny cars, dragsters and such, but cars that look like old racers, something like the Terlingua Mustangs or the Parnelli Jones Fastbacks, or Petty´s blue #43 Mopars.....That kinda stuff.

I´ve always wanted to have a car done in such a finish but as I have a convertible it would not really work, unfortunately.

The black white and red one grabs me! That looks sharp, especially with the hideaway (or lack of) headlights!

The black white and red one grabs me! That looks sharp, especially with the hideaway (or lack of) headlights!
I think OL 71 is going to have a twin in the near future! Like it A LOT?:heart:

I love the IMSA "widebody" fenders and quarters on the red/black/white one at the top. How cool would that be on a regular street car? :D

Here's the DarkHorse car with a new wrap paint job.  They call it a Joey Logano 'tribute' paint scheme.

It is for sale again.  Specs listed under pics.

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/82494/1971-ford-mustang-mach-1-no22-joey-logano-liv

1971 Mustang race Joey Logano.jpg

1971 Mustang race Joey Logano2.jpg

1971 Mustang race Joey Logano3.jpg

1971 Mustang race Joey Logano4.jpg

1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1 No.22 Joey Logano livery

This iconic monster is for a driver with big balls and an intense desire to be seen on track and in the paddock. Light up the rear wheels? You bet. Slip it up the inside on the approach to Paddock Hill Bend? Try it. Woaw, the queues of people to see it over the last 2 years at Brands, Castle Combe, Donington, Snetterton and Silverstone. If you pilot a small helicopter you would probably be able to fit it on the roof or on the bonnet (sorry, the hood).

I would consider an exchange for a race Mustang with HTP.

302 Windsor small-block V8 engine by Peter Knight stroked to 347 cubic inches (5686 cc) giving 505 hp and 425 pounds of torque.

• 4.125 Bore / 3.25 Stroke / 5.400 Rod
  • Dart Block, 8.200 Deck Height, 4 bolt main caps, Siamese bores.
  • Scat 3.25 Steel Crank, Scat 5.400 H beam Steel rods.
  • Mahle Forged Pistons, flat top, 10.5:1 Compression  Ratio
  • Clevite 77 H series bearings throughout
  • Iskenderian Roller camshaft & roller lifters
  • Brodix T1 Heads
  • ARP fasteners throughout.
  • Internally balanced
  • Aviaid oil pan
  • MSD ignition
  • Dyno tested.
  • 505 bhp @ 7000
  • 425 Lb.Ft @ 5300

•    Internally balanced, MSD ignition. Uses Shell Optimax 97 pump fuel.  

•    Normally-aspirated induction, 850 Holley 4-barrel carburettor, fuel pressure regulated to 6psi.

•    Ron Davis radiator and 2 oil radiators. Exhaust headers 3” crossover and twin mufflers to the rear

•    Clutch: New Centre Force with new McLeod hydraulic thrust bearing

•    Top loader 4 speed gearbox with Hirst shifter, H-pattern

•    Detroit 9 inch 3.55 ratio diff,  31 spline axles, not limited slip.

•    The tyres are Hoosier or Avon depending on the event regulations and the wheels are American Racing Wheels Torq Thrust II Classic Black.

•    The Hoosier tyres are huge…

Front: rim 8½  inch  25.5 x 10 x 15    outside diameter 25½ inches

Rear:  rim 10 inch    27.5 x 11 x 15    outside diameter 27¾ inches

•    Fibre-glass front wings (fenders) and bonnet (trunk).

The new-for-2017 Joey Logano tribute livery is vinyl wrap only, so you can restore it to its original Ford Competition Orange paint and historic numbers if you wish (see photos).  To my knowledge this car is not yet eligible for HSCC and other historic racing requiring an HTP but I have not tried very hard and it's the same period as the Camaros winning at Goodwood. The car is currently and correctly registered in California and wearing the appropriate registration plate.

Race modifications in the last two years include 1½ inch lowered front, new wishbones, high rate competition springs, thicker 1⅛ inch front roll bar, fabricated roll bar links, new rear leafs, new extreme-anti-roll at the rear, new rear roll-bar, new Koni shocks all round, new suspension bushes all round, new wheels, new brake master cylinder and non-servo set-up. This is a car which does 140mph at Spa, Thruxton and Silverstone GP on a Race Technologies data-logger.

Huge spares package including long diff for Spa, suspension parts, headers for 351 engine with TFS heads, fibre glass fenders (wings), starter, alternator, etc., by negotiation.

More details and pictures at http://www.newmediafoundry.co.uk/marcus/1971_ford_mustang.pdf

The 71 Mustang at Thruxton in 2016, CSCC's official video...

Back