steering column help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikleins29

Reaction score
My Car
71 fastback 351cleveland 4 speed
I need help my steering shaft that the steering wheel bolts to the hole shaft can come out. What holds it in is it a snap ring and if it is where does it go. The person I got the car from had the ignition rigged because the tumbler would stick in the start position so he had it toggle switched I wired everything back to normal but it sticking because the shaft would move in and out when you turn the key. When I have everything bolted up I can pull the steering wheel and the shaft moves and jams everything up. When the wheel is off I can pull the shaft out or push it in all the way something has to hold it in place and the previous owner forgot to put the clips in or something does anyone have a link on rebuilding the steering column with pics ?

I believe the steering shaft is held in place by the upper bearing, which is held in place by a flange that is bolted to the housing. There is also a snap ring, but that is to keep the shaft from moving down.

Can anyone show me what the flange looks like that bolts to the housing I found two holes that are behind the turn signal switch that bolts used to be in at one time I think the previous owner lost the flange. Here are pics of what I have. Do you think don would have one.

IMAG0649.jpg

IMAG0644.jpg

IMAG0643.jpg

I believe I would find me a replacement steering column that is not butchered up.

If it is not a tilt wheel you can buy them for $100 bucks

Is this what you need ?
steeringcolumn.jpg

The flange that what's in the pic bolts to. That's what I need.

flange bolts to column with the use of T bolts
steeringcoulmn3.jpg
steeringcoulmn4.jpg
steeringcoulmn6.jpg
the T bolts in my previous picture you put them in from the bottom of housing and barely start the nuts on the threads then slide the housing down making sure that the T bolts go into slots on column then tighten them down and it holds everything in place

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave a column to motorcitymustang when i traded a bunch of parts that for him to sell. I also gave him that exact same housing pictured above. Get a hold of him and see what he wants for the column of if he will part it out.

Back