Door window glass replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1965 Mustang 2+2
1973 Mustang Convertable
The 73's drivers door window glass has heavy vertical scratches, replacement is called for.

I ordered & recieved very good used replacement glass. It's the 73 type with the hardware pop riveted on, not bolt on as the 71-72's are.

So as the replacement glass still has the hardware poprivets intact, how did he get the glass out. Every thing I found says the hardware must be removed to get the glqass in, or out.

Wrestling with getting the scratched old glass has about got me convinced to remove the hardware to facillitate glass replacement.

Is there a tecnique known here that will allow glass removal/instalation, and leave the hardware in place??

TIA

Tubo

$(KGrHqV,!lME2EO5unIGBNj!OlChU!~~_12.JPG

As no one else here has experience with this, I'll post the response I recieved from Mike Berardi at MotorCity Mustang;

"73 is a real pain the butt. As you pull it upward, you will have to angle it out (about on a 45 degree angle up with the back end roller coming out first, and a 45 degree angle towards you (from the inside), to get the back roller out first, then the metal bracket in the bottom middle, then the roller on the lower front (that will be the easiest because you can angle it about anyway you need)."

Thought I done this the other day, it apparently must be done using a bit more force than I was willing to do at the time. Now I'm gonna have to get Butch with it.

Why not just grind off the 3 rivet heads and then bolt it together like the 71-2 glass.

They are aluminum rivets and come out pretty easy

Don

Ive removed them it not hard. Mark all of the window stop locations prior to removi g the glass. Roll the window down untik you can get access to the nuts that attach the glass to the regulator. Remove the regulator to glass nuts. Make sure that the regulator is completely detached from the glass. Also remove the rubber weatherstrip caps on the top ends of the door. This will allows the rivited white cylinders for clearance to be removed. After the regulator is disconnected, roll it all the way down so its out of the way. Now manuver the glass through the openi.gs. its tricky. If i remember correctly i got the glass out finaaly throught the area above the door latch. Please note the window will not come straight up out of the shell. The glass willl almost be vertical when removing it. Just take your time and be careful. It will come right out.

Related question: are the repro door glass replacements (tinted) of the same quality, fit, thickness and hue as the OEM parts?

Thanks and regards.

Michael

Ive removed them it not hard. Mark all of the window stop locations prior to removi g the glass. Roll the window down untik you can get access to the nuts that attach the glass to the regulator. Remove the regulator to glass nuts. Make sure that the regulator is completely detached from the glass. Also remove the rubber weatherstrip caps on the top ends of the door. This will allows the rivited white cylinders for clearance to be removed. After the regulator is disconnected, roll it all the way down so its out of the way. Now manuver the glass through the openi.gs. its tricky. If i remember correctly i got the glass out finaaly throught the area above the door latch. Please note the window will not come straight up out of the shell. The glass willl almost be vertical when removing it. Just take your time and be careful. It will come right out.
Mike is spot on, I removed the door glass from my car two days ago. It's a '72 and his directions are exactly what I experienced.

Back