heater control valve

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang fastback sprint 302 auto.p/s and brakes
hope someone can help me,i am looking for the heater contol valve or heater water valve for my 72 fastback 302 non a/c..looked every where for 1 and where does it mount..part number and a pic of where it will located will help..thanks,casey you can e-mail directly to me if that is easier.

They often were removed at some point. It will be on one of the two heater hoses between the firewall and the water pump. If it is functional it will have a vacuum pod attached that controls the valve.

But since you don't have A/C it is possible that you don't have a control valve. On my A/C car the valve was only used to turn off the water to the heater when I had the A/C on 'max'. If it was on any other setting the valve was 'open' and would allow water into the heater core. Unlike most, if not all, of today's cars, the Mustang AC would pass the air over the evaporator and depending on where you had the 'mix' set it would bypass some/all over the heater core to warm it back up some.

Modern cars do this by cycling the compressor.

According to the 71-72 Assembly Manual, without AC, it did not have one. Page E2Z-605-2, DATED 8/11/71. Chuck

Back