convertible top

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellbuyer

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible Mustang
Hi there, did anyone ever change their convertible top, if so, is it as hard as I am led to believe? Thanks

Hi there I am a pretty good back yarder as well

but fitting a new top was just a bit beyond me

possibly could have done it but and its a big but

some of the stuff Ive read

you need a staple gun to stick the top to the rails

and one slip and the roof dont fit

so I paid for mine to be installed by a pro

it cost me $900 in labour as I already had a new top

but I am very happy with the result

it made my vert look 100% better than before

so if you can afford it

get it done professionaly

thats my advice

just look at my avatar

and you can see what it turned out like

thanks John

Hi there, did anyone ever change their convertible top, if so, is it as hard as I am led to believe? Thanks
I put mine on in 2004. It is a fairly tedious job but not impossible. the hardest part is getting the rear of the top in place and situated to fit the glass window all at the same time. There is a lot of work to do in the trunk on your back. it is not fun if you are a big guy (6'-4", 275#). The advantage of doing it yourself is that you can detail the ribcage and lube all the pivot points. A clean ribcage really enhances the look of a new top.

I have argent lower paint on my convertible so I used a grey top. I think it looks better than a white top and does not show the dirt as bad.

1185_13_04_12_11_26_24.jpeg

I paid $250 to have my top replaced. It was done by a friend who LOVES to do that kind of work. He had my car for 4 weeks, but it came out outstanding.

Things to be concerned with are:

1. Was the top done before? If so, then who knows what the previous installer might have done that will make your job tougher.

2. I was afraid of stapling the front. On my 73, there was simply a piece of wood that was glued(?) to the front crossmember, and the top is stapled to this. The wood was all rotted away. That had to be replaced, and I am pretty sure the replacement is plastic. Know idea how the top is attached to the rear cross member. Probably the same way.

3. The rear window is a pain. But if you don't mind doing things 4 or 5 times until everything fits right, then this job is for you.

I have a 73 Shop Manual if you need some guidance.

I am dropping mine back off at the shop today. They pulled the old top off last week and I spend some time this weekend painting the frame and replacing a bolt and a missing nut. (BTW, I need the correct bolt, I will post up a different thread). Looking at it I am glad I didn't try to tackle this job myself. The shop said they would have the car for a few days.

I am dropping mine back off at the shop today. They pulled the old top off last week and I spend some time this weekend painting the frame and replacing a bolt and a missing nut. (BTW, I need the correct bolt, I will post up a different thread). Looking at it I am glad I didn't try to tackle this job myself. The shop said they would have the car for a few days.
What bolt / nut do you need?

Don

What bolt / nut do you need?

Don
There are two smaller bows, this one is the farthest back and it has a bolt/bushing/nut that it pivots on. The bolt the one at the most outside end of the bow that attaches to the top frame (not the rivit type one that is a little in bound and attaches to the mechanism). Kind of a round head with what looks like a phillips hole. Probably just 1/2" or so long. I can send you a pic if you think you have one.

I need to place an order with you anyways for a boot and some clips.

I did mine with my dad, it sucks to long and too much pain when in the trunk I also have replaced a shattered window with a plastic one it sucks too. The only thing My dad and I did not do on the car was the tranny rebuild and it leaked so go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across this video the other day on installing the tops on 71/73's. It's some clips of the installation so they can sell you the DVD.
After seeing this post, I bought the DVD:) It is really good! The quality is not super high, but you can certainly see what needs doing and in what order. It's so simple........A child could do it!!:):)

I came across this video the other day on installing the tops on 71/73's. It's some clips of the installation so they can sell you the DVD.
After seeing this post, I bought the DVD:) It is really good! The quality is not super high, but you can certainly see what needs doing and in what order. It's so simple........A child could do it!!:):)
I'm glad the DVD worked out for you. You may want to post a review of it in our Product Review thread here: http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-product-reviews

Back