Mary tyler Moore Show, Mary's Car was a 71-73 Mustang Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machman

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
I got a laugh while channel surfing and saw a rerun of an old Mary tyler Moore show.

She was geting her old Mustang vert serviced and fell in love with the new Mustangs and the episode was about her getting one

I wonder if Ford was an sponsor in the show?

AJ

i081574.jpg

i282244.jpg

mtm+mustang.jpg

72-must-mtm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard that name before but who the heck is she? What's her claim to fame besides that show?
Funny, I guess you never heard of the Dick Van Dyke show either! ;)

Great find on the show, I'll have to start watching again!

I've heard that name before but who the heck is she? What's her claim to fame besides that show?

Wasn't he in the Mary Popins raindance movie?

The only 2 things I remember her in was the old Dick Van Dyke Show from the early 60s and the Mary tyler Moore Show from the 70s.

Bio at IMDb

Mary Tyler Moore More

Date of Birth

29 December 1936, Brooklyn, New York, USA

Height

5' 7" (1.70 m)

Mini Biography

Mary Tyler Moore was born in Flatbush, Brooklyn, on December 29, 1936, though Moore's family relocated to California when she was eight. Her childhood was troubled, due in part to her mother's alcoholism. The oldest of three siblings, she attended a Catholic high school and married upon her graduation, in 1955. Her only child, Richie, was born soon after.

A dancer at first, Moore's first break in show business was in 1955, as a dancing kitchen appliance - Happy Hotpoint, the Hotpoint Appliance elf, in commercials generally broadcast during the popular TV program "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet" (1952). She then shifted from dancing to acting, and work soon came, at first a number of guest roles on TV series, but eventually a recurring role as "Sam", Richard Diamond's sultry answering service girl, on "Richard Diamond, Private Detective" (1957), her performance being particularly notorious because her legs (usually dangling a pump on her toe) were shown instead of her face.

Although these early roles often took advantage of her willowy charms (in particular, her famously-beautiful dancer's legs), Moore's career soon took a more substantive turn as she was cast in two of the most highly regarded comedies in television history, which would air first-run for most of the Sixties and Seventies. In the first of these, "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961), Moore played "Laura Petrie", the charmingly loopy wife of star Dick Van Dyke. The show became famous for its very clever writing and terrific comic ensemble - Moore and her fellow performers received multiple Emmy awards for their work. Meanwhile, she had separated from her first husband, and later married ad man (and, later, network executive) Grant Tinker.

After the end of "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961), Moore focused on movie-making, co-starring in five between the end of the show and the start of "Mary Tyler Moore" (1970), including Thoroughly Modern Millie (1967), in which she plays a ditsy aspiring actress, and an inane Elvis Presley vehicle, Change of Habit (1969), in which she plays a nun-to-be and love interest for Presley. Also included in this mixed bag of films was a first-rate TV movie, Run a Crooked Mile (1969) (TV), which was an early showcase for Moore's considerable talent at dramatic acting.

After trying her hand at movies for a few years, Moore decided, a bit reluctantly, to return to TV, but on her terms. The result was "Mary Tyler Moore" (1970), which was produced by MTM Enterprises, a company she had formed with Tinker, and which later went on to produce scores of other television programs. Moore starred as "Mary Richards", who moves to Minneapolis/St. Paul on the heels of a failed relationship. Mary finds work at the news room of WJM-TV, whose news program is the lowest-rated in the city, and establishes fast friendships with her colleagues and her neighbors. The show was a commercial and critical success and for years was a fixture of CBS television's unbeatable Saturday night line-up. Moore and Tinker were determined from the start to make the show a cut above the average, and it certainly was - instead of going for a barrage of gags, the humor took longer to develop, and arose out of the interaction between the characters in more realistic situations. It was also one of the earliest TV portrayals of a woman who was happy and successful on her own rather than simply being a man's wife. "Mary Tyler Moore" (1970) is generally included amongst the finest television programs ever produced in America.

Moore ended the show in 1977, while it was still on a high point, but found it difficult to flee the beloved "Mary Richards" persona - her subsequent attempts at television series, variety programs and specials (such as the mortifying disco-era Mary's Incredible Dream (1976) (TV)) usually failed, but even her dramatic work, which is generally excellent, fell under the shadow of "Mary Richards". With time, however, her body of dramatic acting came to be recognized on its own, with such memorable work as in Ordinary People (1980), as an aloof WASP mother who not-so-secretly resents her younger son's survival; in Finnegan Begin Again (1985) (TV), as a middle-aged widow who finds love with a man whose wife is slowly slipping away, in "Lincoln" (1988), as the troubled "Mary Todd Lincoln", and in Stolen Babies (1993) (TV), as an infamous baby smuggler (for which she won her sixth Emmy award). She also inspired a new appreciation for her famed comic talents in Flirting with Disaster (1996), in which she is hilarious as the resentful adoptive mother of a son who is seeking his birth parents. Moore has also acted on Broadway, and she won a Tony Award for her performance in "Whose Life Is It Anyway?".

Widely acknowledged as being much tougher and more high-strung than her iconic image would suggest, Moore has had a life with more than the normal share of ups and downs. Both of her siblings predeceased her, her sister Elizabeth of a drug overdose in 1978 and her brother of cancer after a failed attempt at assisted suicide, Moore having been the assistant. Moore's troubled son Richie shot and killed himself in what was officially ruled an accident in 1980. Moore has long been diagnosed an insulin-dependent diabetic, and had a bout with alcoholism in the mid-70s. Divorced from Tinker since 1981, she has been married to physician Robert Levine since 1983. Despite the opening credits of "Mary Tyler Moore" (1970), in which she throws a package of meat into her shopping cart, Moore is a vegetarian and a proponent of animal rights. She is an active spokesperson for both diabetes issues and animal rights. She and Levine live in Upstate New York and Manhattan.

Well this for starters. Not a big fan but her name is out there.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001546/

mike

[Mary] "Told David Letterman that her (and others') nickname for Dick Van Dyke when they did the "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961) together was Penis Von Lesbian, a play on his real name."

I don't care who you are, that there is funny!

Well this for starters. Not a big fan but her name is out there.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001546/

mike

[Mary] "Told David Letterman that her (and others') nickname for Dick Van Dyke when they did the "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (1961) together was Penis Von Lesbian, a play on his real name."

I don't care who you are, that there is funny!
Whose is David Letterman?

Next he will be talking about Howdy Doody Time and Captain Kangaroo!

I found a link to the episode about the Mustangs. I started watching it but have not finished. You have to suffer through a few commercials, but the showroom scene is near the beginning of the episode. About 6 minutes in she is looking at what appears to be a 73 Mustang Brochure. The air date is March 73, so it's probably a 73 convertible.

Season 3, episode 24

-http://www.hulu.com/watch/25333/the-mary-tyler-moore-show-mary-richards-and-the-incredible-plant-lady#s-p1-so-i0

Wasn't he in the Mary Popins raindance movie?
Good Lawd..... we got oursefs a young'n here!!! :D

Betcha never heard of Sky King either?

Here is a better shot of the Mustang with Mary washing it on the final credits.

Ray
Thank goodness someone brought us back to the girl and the mustang!!

Sport Covers - FTW!!! ::thumb::

mtm+mustang.jpg

Have I ever mentioned that I like sport covers? rofl

Back