what kind of Dis should I get.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
Alright I know how you guys feel about that HEI i have up front but why is eveeryone so angry at it?

I am looking to get a another one that might be a little smaller, but I want to stay away from points

I am not sure why people get the ignition boxes with it.

I want it to be simply, I am not trying to run a coil as well. I hope that is not too much...lol....

Mallory unilite dist have a optical ignition module inside the dist. if you order the unilite dist. order a extra module in case the one in the dist goes bad , most part stores do not carry them. When i got my mustang the alternator wasn't charging and i jumped the regulator and it blew the module in the dist. i had to wait three weeks for them to arrive in the mail plus i bought 2 so i would have a spare
IM002773-2.jpg
plus dist is small enough to run ram air

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you checked into the Ford Duraspark? I dont know your engine,but the duraspark is a electronic dist. and can be recurved to suit your engine very easily. I think you'll also find there much cheaper to purchase. They feature the same combo of vacum for street manners and a mechanical for performance tuning. I'm going big block, modified and am still going duraspark with recurving to match my cam and engine performance.

I know some of us gave you a bad time about it, but bottom line, it's your car, and if the HEI is serving the purpose that you want it to (and you don't mind how it looks) keep it. They've been around for quite a while and are probably reliable.

I know some of us gave you a bad time about it, but bottom line, it's your car, and if the HEI is serving the purpose that you want it to (and you don't mind how it looks) keep it. They've been around for quite a while and are probably reliable.
Yep, me being one of them, but if it works and you like it, Keep it.

X2 on the duraspark if you're inclined to change, it does require an external coil though. The only distributor I know of that has an integral coil is the HEI. I used one in my GTO years ago, they are EXTREMELY reliable and simple. Either way you cannot go wrong using OEM designed and built parts for reliability and both can be re-curved for decent performance.

The only reason I will change it is to run the ram air, if this is to tall, The HEI are good dist, they just maybe sit too high, but I wanted to get some thoughts going. I will take the beating all day and keep a smile on my face,lol thanks guys

Alright I know how you guys feel about that HEI...

I am not trying to run a coil as well. I hope that is not too much...lol....
I do not know what "not trying to run a coil" means. Everyone needs a coil.

I think a Duraspark distributor with an external coil .5 ohm primary circuit and an external HEI is a great way to go-

200K+ Mile Distributor Life(I've been to the boneyard and

quite frankly, these distributors are solid)

Magnetic Pickup is bullet proof

HEI is bullet proof and CHEAP

Looks stock but delivers high energy

Parts in stock at ANY AUTO PARTS STORE

The downside for me is:

I hate the HUGE Duraspark Cap

Solution for this is to use the standard female socket FOMOCO breaker point cap. You can also be real anal and search and search for a Small Duraspark HEI Cap(like I did, and pay $30 for it once you find it, which then leads you to buy a new set of ignition wires for $50).

Guys can complain about putting a GM part in their FORD, but in my humble opinion, putting an HEI in a FORD is no different than mounting a Holley carb, Edelbrock manifold on your motor or Goodyear rubber on your wheels. These days, an HEI module is as generic as windshield wipers.

(FYI, I am currently in the middle of swapping a stock distributor for the Duraspark/HEI setup. Will post results and pictures in a couple of weeks)

You asked about ignition boxes. Typically these deliver mulipule sparks instead of a single spark for each power stroke. Some also let you control max RPM or allow accessories that will do things like retard your timing during cranking. Dollar for dollar there are better places to first spend your money and they are easy to add on later.

+1 on the Duraspark/ MSD. Very reliable and stable trigger at high RPM. If you have the stock distributor a Mallory espark conversion may be a lot cheaper and still do what you want it to do. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-61002M/

Chuck

Gentlemen, on this subject it may be wise to ask " What's Tnfastbk using?" the man is a research engine when it comes to our cars and I'm pretty sure the most reliable fire crossed his mind at some point. (not that I'm fishing or anything)

Gentlemen, on this subject it may be wise to ask " What's Tnfastbk using?" the man is a research engine when it comes to our cars and I'm pretty sure the most reliable fire crossed his mind at some point. (not that I'm fishing or anything)
NAH thanks but I'm running an old Mallory Comp 9000 with a MAllory high fire box. I had it New in the bow from another build and decided to use it. Seems like it is working fine but think if I had it to do over I would go with all MSD stuff.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-8656701/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-6853M/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MAA-29219/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-35383/

Back