exhaut issues HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
I will upload the pic of the diagram they sent me the kit is from summit and it is 680111. As most of you know it is for my 351C 2v. The pictures show running the first pipe off the collector inward, but as the photo I took shows it is not possible. I am not sure if I can run them outward. I called summit and they could not figure it out but said my kit fits directly on without issue.

I am not sure if I can just flip the pipe and run it outward, I tried to run it back but sets weird but sure i could get it fixed.

I hope someone can help me understand this. Thanks

fp6kwy.jpg

35nd5jd.jpg

k7tbm.jpg

when you have them turned in what are the pipes hitting ? I just went and put mine on ramps and took a couple pics got to log out and load but will post them in a few minutes

Last edited by a moderator:
I have hookers for the 2v. They are full length but they make a slight turn inwards at the bottom, very slight. But I don't think it will be a good idea to turn the pipes outwards and run them, but I might have to cut a little off each pipe so I can run it down the middle

HER ARE SOMEMORE PICS U CAN SEE WHEN THEY FACE EACH OTHER THEY HIT AND THUNDER SAID IT NEEDS TO RUN DOWN SHAFT

THIS IS THE CROSS

THIS IS WHERE I TURNED THEM OUT. I AM SURE THEY JUST HAVE TO BE CUT OR BENT BACK. MY KIT IS SUMMIT 680111 AND HEADERS ARE BOILER 691 HDK I THINK. THE 200 DOLLAR 2V HEADERS

EXHAUST FRONT.jpg

EXHAUST CROSS.jpg

EXHAUST OUT.jpg

It's a cut to fit homeslice... you have to cut the legs coming off the headers shorter, till the intermediate pipes tuck up into the tunnel.

EDIT: I think the hookers don't run parallel to the drive shaft, and tilt in toward each other.. that's probably the issue.

This exhaust system is designed for use with headers that exit parallel to the driveshaft, otherwise modifications will be required.

YEAH ROGER THE GUY AT SUMMIT SAID NOT TO CUT BECAUSE THEN IT WILL BE TO SHORT. I HOPE I GET IT FIXED EITHER WAY THAT FIRST PIECE NEEDS TO BE SHORTENED

You'll probably have to do some more "custom fitting", the description says it fits everything from a 1964 to a 1973 Mustang, and every engine from a 260 to a 427, so it will not be custom fit to any one year of car.

Lay out the rest of the system on the floor and measure the length of it, and measure from where you'll have to cut off the first section to the rear of the car, and see if it will be long enough.

If you think this is bad, on the convertible model there is a torque plate bolted between the floor pans. It is tight tight tight.

I just took mine to a local shop for a custom install. It wasn't that much. The guys were funny as heck. They were all like 60 or something. Beards and kind of gruff. Smoking in the shop (it's illegal) and they did not care. The waiting area was a throw back to the 70's and I won't even tell you what the bathroom looked like.

I loved it!

If you think this is bad, on the convertible model there is a torque plate bolted between the floor pans. It is tight tight tight.

I just took mine to a local shop for a custom install. It wasn't that much. The guys were funny as heck. They were all like 60 or something. Beards and kind of gruff. Smoking in the shop (it's illegal) and they did not care. The waiting area was a throw back to the 70's and I won't even tell you what the bathroom looked like.

I loved it!
There are still some "craftsmen" out there!

Took mine to a local shop who happens to specialize in mustangs, so after a week or so it looked fantastic. Told them to keep it and take there time and tuck everything in nice.

Yeah there is only one place in town and of course they love to rape Soldiers. It is sad but there are too many dumb private that will pay three times as much for the same thing in a normal city. There is a program called MILES, it is only for Military, and they guarantee you a car. The catch and buy the time they get to it these guys don't watch out, the lowest interest rate is 19% and they can not go over 32%. I had a SM (service member) buy a brand new eclipse with no money down, and no payment for 90 days, and I first I thought that is awesome he really did good, then he said and I quote, " and best part sergeant I got it for only 22%." These people should be locked up, really.

I will get mine running and take it up to the shop to see how much KY I need to buy prior to paying for it.

Yeah there is only one place in town and of course they love to rape Soldiers. It is sad but there are too many dumb private that will pay three times as much for the same thing in a normal city. There is a program called MILES, it is only for Military, and they guarantee you a car. The catch and buy the time they get to it these guys don't watch out, the lowest interest rate is 19% and they can not go over 32%. I had a SM (service member) buy a brand new eclipse with no money down, and no payment for 90 days, and I first I thought that is awesome he really did good, then he said and I quote, " and best part sergeant I got it for only 22%." These people should be locked up, really.

I will get mine running and take it up to the shop to see how much KY I need to buy prior to paying for it.

yeah been there done that and its sucks

I had the same issue, took it to a muffler shop, paid $100 & its as good as it can be. Very tight, welded where needed & very satisfied. Good luck.

Back