Getting best engine protection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S4Stang

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang yellow fastback
1996 Mustang Cobra
2012 Expedition 4X4
I was talking to a friend of mine today who is excited about me getting the 71. He's a mopar guy, he runs a 66 coronet with a 318 and a 70 dart with a 340.

He showed concern when I told him I using Mobil 1.

His claim is that all modern oils have little if no zinc and that our older engines have flat tappet lifters.

He further warned that these non rollers would not be protected with modern oil w/o zinc.

What y'all think?

My self i am a firm believer in zinc and phosphorous in motor oil to prevent wear , as i see it if it was not needed they would not have put in there in the first place , I use Valvoline VR1 20w-50 .

My self i am a firm believer in zinc and phosphorous in motor oil to prevent wear , as i see it if it was not needed they would not have put in there in the first place , I use Valvoline VR1 20w-50 .
But wasn't that the same argument with asbestos :huh: :p :D

Use one of the many break-in oils for the first few oil changes. The zinc is a sacrificial metal that fills the pores of the high pressure surfaces (Think cam and lifter). Once the surfaces have been impregnated with the zinc there is less need for it. I have had good luck with Brad Penn break-in oil. Comp Cams has one as does Joe Gibbs. Using the Valvoline racing afterwards is probably good insurance.

BTW, zinc and phosphorus was removed to extend catalytic converter life.

Engine oil for diesels are generally better quality and contain zinc and I know guys sponsored by castrol who use vavoline ,I have seen them putting the vavoline into the castrol containers myself.I wouldn't get too concerned about what oil you put in it unless you're really pushing hard my mate builds engines for rallying and thinks are v8's are old tractor engines he gets 600hp and 550 torque out of 2000cc cosworth and running reliably 220hp out of Ford pinto but they don'y sound half as good as a v8 with a lumpy tickover.

I use Valvoline VR-1 10W30 as this is a new engine.

Beware of additives that claim to contain zinc.

Bought one that has "Zinc replacement" written all

over the bottle. The fine print says "contains no zinc".

mike

Be careful with diesel oil, because since 2007 diesel engines have had diesel particulate filters which is basically a catalytic converter. The oil companies have reduced or removed zinc from the diesel oil too.

I use a 1911 to protect my engine (and everything else). As far as I know there isn't any zinc in the CLP...I'll have to check now.

Ok, on a serious note, I've always liked the Valvoline products after a good break in oil.

"Diesel" oil still has more zzdp in it than passenger car oils. Mobil one is good, with an additive, it's better. We ran mobil 1 last season in the street stock car with a solid flat tappet. The cam and lifters still looked good when we swapped cams and heads a couple of weeks ago.

You really have to put allot of wear and tear on an engine to concern yourself with additives. I rarely put a 2000 miles a year on my cars so I do not worry about it.

Snake oil disscussion...hehe..I asked my cousin "Cause he has a batchlors degree in mechanical engineering "about additives they took out of oil...And he said the same thing about it...Was done for the newer roller cams....Says they started to have alot of massive cam fails in newer rebuilds on older cars with flattap cam...Just cause of the lack of zink during the break in..Like many have said..It coats the cam...Stop it from any pitting and such during break in..After that..He said any sinthetic is great in our cars...Its just sintech oil is just too good for our old cams during the break in..But once your broke in after a few oil changes..You will benift from the newer oils with better gas milage and such....And this coming from a guy who knows more about motors than anyone i know...lol

Back