Car Title Problems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingKong

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
1985 Lincoln Town Car
2003 Nissan 350z
1994 Toyota Supra
My brother just bought a 1969 mustang Mach 1. The owner did not have a title to the car, neither did the guy he bought it from.....needless to say, you must have a title in hand to bring the car through the border.

What are you guy's recommendations? I read on some forums that use broadway titles for new titles for their classic cars stuck in the same situation.

Alan,

What state was the car purchased in ? Most states DO NOT ISSUE A TITLE for older cars..Every state is bit different ..As an example..I bought my 71 Camaro in upstate N.Y. NO TITLE. What is used is the current or last registration & a bill of sale for transfer to the new owner. When I registered the car in my home state Thats all I needed then I had to have a physical vin check before my tags would be issued..When I completed that & received my paper work same deal NO TITLE..just a registration which is used to transfer ownership if I decide to sell the car..The point is that if you show paper work that no title is issued from the state where the car was purchased or can get an old registration you should be good to go. If not then I would think just register the car where you bought it Now you have the paper work you need..Bring it over..then cancel..

I dont know your story, but here in Ohio I had that a couple times over the years and I just filed mechanics liens and got new titles. The process takes awile but not extreme.
I've done that a few times also Pap..But I owned a shop so I was a biz ...Not sure how a private person would do that unless he could show he did work on the car or provided a service & was never paid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Scott, the car was bought at Everett Washington, and before that was bought from San Antonio Texas......Not sure if he can register the car in washington with just a bill of sale.

thanks guys

Hey Scott, the car was bought at Everett Washington, and before that was bought from San Antonio Texas......Not sure if he can register the car in washington with just a bill of sale.

thanks guys
Eeeeek ...Well i live in washington state...And had to deal with lost titles a bit..Was it ever registerd here in washington?..No biggy getting a new title if its allready been registered with the state...But sounds like it hasnt been registerd for a long time ...In Washington state they will make you take the car down too the D.O.T for inspection...They will check it out and make sure it is what your saying it is...check the vin's and such make sure it isnt reported as stolen.....And give you a temp title for like 5 years just incass a dispute pops up over the owner ship of the car....If it doesnt run you can hall it on a trailer down there too.

With temporary title you can get it licensed and tabbed and new plates and legal drive it all over..and hopefully over the border too..thou i have limited experiance taking cars across the border..lol

I have used Broadway titles before. I had no issues using them except for the fee it is fairly straight forward, but if I remember correctly it took 4-6 weeks or so. Do you have the car somewhere safe while you get this sorted out?

Charles

thanks guys
Eeeeek ...Well i live in washington state...And had to deal with lost titles a bit..Was it ever registerd here in washington?..No biggy getting a new title if its allready been registered with the state...But sounds like it hasnt been registerd for a long time ...In Washington state they will make you take the car down too the D.O.T for inspection...They will check it out and make sure it is what your saying it is...check the vin's and such make sure it isnt reported as stolen.....And give you a temp title for like 5 years just incass a dispute pops up over the owner ship of the car....If it doesnt run you can hall it on a trailer down there too.

With temporary title you can get it licensed and tabbed and new plates and legal drive it all over..and hopefully over the border too..thou i have limited experiance taking cars across the border..lol
Yea the car havn't seen light for 17 years...... He is going to ask a local (Washington) licensing office tomorrow and see what he can do, but I read the rules on WA DMV and said the original title must be presented to transfer ownership.....

I have used Broadway titles before. I had no issues using them except for the fee it is fairly straight forward, but if I remember correctly it took 4-6 weeks or so. Do you have the car somewhere safe while you get this sorted out?

Charles
Hey Patcon, how did you get in touch with them? Their website says they are affiliated with www.getnewtitle.com now. I called and left a message, hopefully they will come through....

The car is still at the seller's house and he has agreed to hold it for a few months till he gets the title.

I dont know if it is Broadway... but some company in Alabama. I called 15 times literal. No response. finally got some girl on the phone and if it is easy they would do it...if not I could do it myself. Well DUHHHhh i KNEW THAT!!!

Yea the car havn't seen light for 17 years...... He is going to ask a local (Washington) licensing office tomorrow and see what he can do, but I read the rules on WA DMV and said the original title must be presented to transfer ownership.....
You will have to file for a lost title if they cant find the original..And like i said before they will make you take the car down too the DMV..And check it over...And if everything checks out ok..they will issue you a temp title....So you can legaly drive it....And long as some one doesnt pop up in 5 years and says its really there car..Its all yours free and clear..We had to do it on a few old rigs with no titles.

Hopfully they can get a title for you soon!!

Thanks everyone for the input!

Back