Drag race or road race look

I am going to complete my 71 mach and am curious what most are looking for for a vintage look on the street! I have everything to get the look of either drag or road race profile so before I get too far along with the build I was wanted to know what most think? You can see my starting point in the cars for sale section- 71 mach 1 M code 4 speed. Thanks in advance-:)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should post some pics of what your thinking....I would say for the street...But i do like the looks of a drag car...lol.. our cars look killer either way!!...Wow thats a tuff choice...lol

It depends on what you're looking for from the car. I had a pro street 64 GTO and while it was a fun project, the car was not very drivable due to the skinny front rubber on narrow wheels and the big bias ply reat tires that would push the car around on 18 wheeler ruts.

With the Mustang I'm looking for a better all around car that drives, rides and handles better.

My vote would be road race, I think it will make a better all around and more enjoyable car.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Didn't our cars have the road race look from the factory? You can't go wrong with road race.

Look under race car paint jobs elsewhere in these threads! The red number 71 is going to have a twin!- absolutely love the look of that car. I also love drag race styled 71s so when I get a little closer to making mine run maybe a week or so I will try to post some pics.!:D

It depends on what you're looking for from the car. I had a pro street 64 GTO and while it was a fun project, the car was not very drivable due to the skinny front rubber on narrow wheels and the big bias ply reat tires that would push the car around on 18 wheeler ruts.

With the Mustang I'm looking for a better all around car that drives, rides and handles better.

My vote would be road race, I think it will make a better all around and more enjoyable car.

Droptop proves a valid point. Going road race not only is a nice look, but it will drive better.

Didn't our cars have the road race look from the factory? You can't go wrong with road race.

Look under race car paint jobs elsewhere in these threads! The red number 71 is going to have a twin!- absolutely love the look of that car. I also love drag race styled 71s so when I get a little closer to making mine run maybe a week or so I will try to post some pics.!:D

Which one? Red or Yellow? (decisions, decisions... LOL) :D

Edit: Duh... guess I should actually read everything before I post, eh? LOL!

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Road race for me!

spacer.png
1931 Ford Model A Station Wagon
1969 Mach 1 - 351C, TKO-600, 4WDB, R&P, A/C, Shaker, Fold Down, etc.
1972 Mach 1 - 351C, FMX, PDB, PS, A/C, Fold Down, Console
1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible - 10psi Procharger, 436rwhp

• 6 years later...

Yeah, that's a real good looking Funny Car! Gotta love it! I don't like any kind of sports but I could watch funny cars from the era all day long! Here's a picture of the very same car as slot car (Blue Max) HO scale (Auto World I believe) I collect mostly Aurora Thunder Jets in HO scale but haven't had much time lately, the real McCoy is priority ! 

lollerz

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

Yeah, that's a real good looking Funny Car! Gotta love it! I don't like any kind of sports but I could watch funny cars from the era all day long! Here's a picture of the very same car as slot car (Blue Max) HO scale (Auto World I believe) I collect mostly Aurora Thunder Jets in HO scale but haven't had much time lately, the real McCoy is priority ! 

lollerz

You know we have a bunch of slot car racer/collectors on here (including me).

I mainly collect and race the t-jETS AND A/FX.  Always looking to add to my collection!

:)  I probably need to find that old slot car thread!

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

You know, when you look into it, the 71 to 73 Mustang body was really popular in the Funny Car ranks. If memory serves, NHRA rules mandated that the body used in Funny Car classes must be within 3 years of current production, something like that. If true, that meant the basic '71- '73 body style could be used all the way thru '76, should you be lucky enough to keep your 'glass body in one piece that long, so the body style had longevity in Funny Car, as well as good looks.

irley_Muldowney_Mustang_DRUSA5721_vi.jpg

I know 427HEAVEN asked about "street" drag race looks, and these photos in my posts here are definitely NOT street, but here are some others as well, just to wet the appetite for a "drag look". Lots of racers going with the fastback '71-'73 body...

Funny_Cars.jpg

Funny_Cars1.jpg

Funny_Cars_2.jpg

Funny_Cars_3.jpg

Funny_Cars_4.jpg

I know I've seen the logo for "Fibreglass Trends" on so many older Funny Cars, but I don't have any idea if they still are around. I'm sure there were/are others. Oh, I just remembered "Fibreglass Unlimited" and "Cal Automotive" , as well.

I found a few photos of road race style 71-73 cars. Hmmmmmm. I agree with the OP that our Machs come from the factory with road race styling, and should be naturals. But unlike the previous 69-70 models, which were raced pretty much how they looked, somehow the road racers tend to modify the 71-73s into something much less beautiful. This is my opinion. If a guy was going for the road race look and only lowered his car and ran Mini-lites with appropriate rubber, on the street, it would still look cool, but cripes, look at these road racers photos......kinda ugly to me. The dropped metalwork noses and front valence removal kills the front ends looks. That blue #11 looks like a plastic model kit that was left out in the sun and melted!

Trans_Am.jpg

Trans_Am_2.jpg

Trans_Am_3.jpg