Drag race or road race look

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

427heaven

Reaction score
My Car
1971 m code 4 speed Mach 1
I am going to complete my 71 mach and am curious what most are looking for for a vintage look on the street! I have everything to get the look of either drag or road race profile so before I get too far along with the build I was wanted to know what most think? You can see my starting point in the cars for sale section- 71 mach 1 M code 4 speed. Thanks in advance-:)

You should post some pics of what your thinking....I would say for the street...But i do like the looks of a drag car...lol.. our cars look killer either way!!...Wow thats a tuff choice...lol

It depends on what you're looking for from the car. I had a pro street 64 GTO and while it was a fun project, the car was not very drivable due to the skinny front rubber on narrow wheels and the big bias ply reat tires that would push the car around on 18 wheeler ruts.

With the Mustang I'm looking for a better all around car that drives, rides and handles better.

My vote would be road race, I think it will make a better all around and more enjoyable car.

Didn't our cars have the road race look from the factory? You can't go wrong with road race.
Look under race car paint jobs elsewhere in these threads! The red number 71 is going to have a twin!- absolutely love the look of that car. I also love drag race styled 71s so when I get a little closer to making mine run maybe a week or so I will try to post some pics.!:D

It depends on what you're looking for from the car. I had a pro street 64 GTO and while it was a fun project, the car was not very drivable due to the skinny front rubber on narrow wheels and the big bias ply reat tires that would push the car around on 18 wheeler ruts.

With the Mustang I'm looking for a better all around car that drives, rides and handles better.

My vote would be road race, I think it will make a better all around and more enjoyable car.
Droptop proves a valid point. Going road race not only is a nice look, but it will drive better.

Didn't our cars have the road race look from the factory? You can't go wrong with road race.
Look under race car paint jobs elsewhere in these threads! The red number 71 is going to have a twin!- absolutely love the look of that car. I also love drag race styled 71s so when I get a little closer to making mine run maybe a week or so I will try to post some pics.!:D
Which one? Red or Yellow? (decisions, decisions... LOL) :D

Edit: Duh... guess I should actually read everything before I post, eh? LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all about road race cars.

Yeah, that's a real good looking Funny Car! Gotta love it! I don't like any kind of sports but I could watch funny cars from the era all day long! Here's a picture of the very same car as slot car (Blue Max) HO scale (Auto World I believe) I collect mostly Aurora Thunder Jets in HO scale but haven't had much time lately, the real McCoy is priority ! 

lollerz

Yeah, that's a real good looking Funny Car! Gotta love it! I don't like any kind of sports but I could watch funny cars from the era all day long! Here's a picture of the very same car as slot car (Blue Max) HO scale (Auto World I believe) I collect mostly Aurora Thunder Jets in HO scale but haven't had much time lately, the real McCoy is priority ! 

lollerz
You know we have a bunch of slot car racer/collectors on here (including me).

I mainly collect and race the t-jETS AND A/FX.  Always looking to add to my collection!

:)  I probably need to find that old slot car thread!

Ray

You know, when you look into it, the 71 to 73 Mustang body was really popular in the Funny Car ranks. If memory serves, NHRA rules mandated that the body used in Funny Car classes must be within 3 years of current production, something like that. If true, that meant the basic '71- '73 body style could be used all the way thru '76, should you be lucky enough to keep your 'glass body in one piece that long, so the body style had longevity in Funny Car, as well as good looks.

I know 427HEAVEN asked about "street" drag race looks, and these photos in my posts here are definitely NOT street, but here are some others as well, just to wet the appetite for a "drag look". Lots of racers going with the fastback '71-'73 body...

Back