My '73 Grande

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1
1973 Mach 1
1973 Grande
1989 LX 5.0L
2003 Mercury Marauder
2015 Lincoln MKT
Rocket,

I was in the Gallery where I ran across your "Coupe." I was shocked to see it looks EXACTLY like my Grande (Ice) - - same paint scheme and interior.

Of course, Ice is currently at the "Paint/Body Shop" being stripped down but I am going to go over there and take some pictures today. That way, you will be able to see what the NASA (NACA) hood will look like on "your" car.

BT

Awesome! Can't wait to see it!

Is your's ram air? I was also thinking of getting the plenum and air cleaner to match...LOL

As promised, attached are links to pictures of "Ice."

The photos showed it striupped down for the "Painter." That is why the bumpers, grilles, mirrows, head liner, ect. are out of the car. I will be going with a Black vinyl top. The door on the passenger side was taken off a different coupe.

The car originally came with a 302 with three speed. I have swapped out the 302 for a 1970 460 bored .030. It is essentially an Edelbrock motor as I am using the Edelbrock RPM cam, intake and carburetor. The heads are D0VE-Cs that have been mildly ported (no flow numbers),

It has a built C6 (extra heavy duty clutches and bands) with a TCI Street Fighter converter, The rearend is an upgraded 28 Spline Traction Lock with 3:50 gears. Those are 16 X 8 Vintage 45 with TA KDW 245ZR16 tires. I am using MACH I drums on the back but upgraded to Master Power Brake disc on the front.

The hood is a NOS NASA (NACA). You may be able to see that the hood has the provisions on the underside for the ram air install.

The interior matches my '73 MACH I to include the full console and tach. The console has been removed as part of the prep for painting.

I am changing the color to match my MACH I.

DSCF1794.jpg

DSCF1791.jpg

DSCF1790.jpg

DSCF1793.jpg

DSCF1799.jpg

DSCF1796.jpg

DSCF1802.jpg

DSCF1807.jpg

BT

Wow! That is like my car's twin! what color will it be?

Same as "Fire" (my '73 MACH I) - - medium bright yellow, with Boss 351 side stripes and the tu tone (black and yellow) hood.

The pictures do not show it (have been taken off for painting) but it also has the black MACH I "honey combed" grill in the front and back.

BT

Looks good, man! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Very cool are the wheels torque thrust or vintage 40s. If i don't go with magnums i want to go with that stile wheel.

Duh just re read post vintage 45s perfect wheel and tire combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
The "latest" word is that it will be JANUARY!!!

The restorer actually had to send the car to another state (Arkansas) and the "painter" has two cars in at the same time. He is doing a "rotisserie" job on the other car.

The Restorer is trying to convince me to bring the other one ('73 Mach I) in so he can start on it but I have told him "NO WAY" until I get the Grande back.

More to come!

BT

Awesome! Can't wait for the homecoming! Lots of pics are required! LOL

That's a GOOD one, Jeff! With all the "Sand" I have been raising, I am pretty sure it will be THIS January. I have already told the "Restorer" that I am considering using someone else for the Mach I (even if it is out-of-state) - - I think he has gotten the message.

In fairness though, the Restorer does not have too much control over the "painter" - - other than not using him again. The "thing is", the Painter is very, very good and he takes his time.

...and Yes, Barry I know I owe the Site a lot of pictures. Got a 2GB card ready :)!

BT

Well I went over to my "Restorer" on Monday and was advised the "Painter" has finally gotten the Grande stripped down. Unfortunately, he found a lot of bondo on the rear quarter panels. Apparently, the car was damaged at some time and they loaded up on the bondo.

Based on our conversation, I made the decision to replace both panels and the "Restorer" ordered them directly from Dynacom. They were supposed to be in today but did not make it (per my check with him). He is still promising to have it finished by the end of THIS (for you sceptics) January - - we will see.

I have notified my engine builder that I am not shipping (He is in Missouri) the parts (Block, heads, rotating assembly, etc.) for the 545 that are going into the Mach I until I get the Grande finished.

BT

Well I went over to my "Restorer" on Monday and was advised the "Painter" has finally gotten the Grande stripped down. Unfortunately, he found a lot of bondo on the rear quarter panels. Apparently, the car was damaged at some time and they loaded up on the bondo.

Based on our conversation, I made the decision to replace both panels and the "Restorer" ordered them directly from Dynacom. They were supposed to be in today but did not make it (per my check with him). He is still promising to have it finished by the end of THIS (for you sceptics) January - - we will see.

I have notified my engine builder that I am not shipping (He is in Missouri) the parts (Block, heads, rotating assembly, etc.) for the 545 that are going into the Mach I until I get the Grande finished.

BT
Nice Ride Cobra ! I like the strut tower braces ! In the interest of helping you..( 20+ years in the a/b business)...Realistic time to do 2 quarters NICLEY butt weld for no seam NOT an overlap joint (which you should find out which way it's going to be done) body work to prime for 1 person is 2 weeks..I'd try & save those quarters on the car if possible..If theres no major rust through From the pics they look not to bad ! ...Just because its loaded with bondo dosn't mean the panel is done. It most likely means the person who repaired it didn't know how or wasn't alotted the proper time to "dolly & reshape" the panel properly. as long as there are no major wrinkles A shrinking disc & the proper hammer & dolly work can bring back most panels...Post a few pics of the panels with the bondo or bondo ground out & I will give you an apprisal of the panels if you like...Hey never hurts to get a second opinion.

Scott

Back