magnum 500 question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71MACH-1

Reaction score
My Car
71 MACH 1 351C (WITH A CAM)
4SPD HURST
FACTORY AC
DISC BRAKES
PERTRONIX ELECTRONIC IGNITION
TORINO SEATS WITH CONSOLE
GAUGE PACKAGE
what size magnum 500' should I get to put on my 71 mach 1?

should I make the rear tires wider than the front?

will the 245/60 and 275/60 both fit on the 15/8???

what tires are recommended??

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes our you could go 15/7s up front. I would stay with same size wheel so if you wanted to go with 245/60 all the way around so you could rotate the tires. 71-73s just look good with a little bigger tire out back. I ran a 15/7 magnum and 235/60 on my Mach1 for years.I thought the 235/60 looked small. Mike

will the 245/60 and 275/60 both fit on the 15/8???
Yes they do!

With our Mustangs I would not recommend rims thinner than 8 inch. They will look skinny.

You have plenty of room in the rear. If you want you can put a 15x10 there and have room to spare.

mach71351c's response about rotating the tires is good too, if you're so inclined.

Lookwise, don't go smaller than 15x8. With 4 15x8 you can do both: you can use either bigger tires in the back or use the same size tires on all 4.

I used to have 255/60/15 on all 4 on 15x7 inch Torq Thrust rims and they would fit easily.

My two cents.

Having the correct back spacing is critical to fitment. There are several options for magnum 500s. Where are you in Oklahoma? I'm in Mustang, OK. Chuck

Check out LUXSTANG's video. You get a good idea of his wheel combination, and he has several posts about his tire/wheel/offset sizes.

I am somewhat of a classic purest. And although I don't like the look of thin rubberband sidewall's, I think Luxstang has the wheel/tire fitment as choice as I have seen with his 18 inchers(?). Lot's of guys here like to mount tall rubber on the 14" or 15" wheels. I have been looking at that for 40 years...time to update.

I am probably going to move up from my 14" to 17" wheels for a couple of reasons:

1. I am pretty sure there is a larger variety of tire mfrs and sizes available 17" wheels than the 14" or 15" especially in regards to tire width(unless you like BFGoodrich).

2. I can't afford the new wheels, let alone the replacement I am going to need for running over that curb in the Walmart parking lot. I get an extra 1/2 with the 17" over the 18".

I also like Luxstang's offset, which determines how well the outer edge of the front and rear wheels match up once they are on the car. In my younger days, we wanted to show off our big fat rear tires and had them stick way out in comparison to the front. These days, I think having the front and rear outside edges match looks much better...especially with big fat tires tight to the springs in the rear.

Have Fun Shopping, and if you have tons of cash to shop with, here are a couple of alternative I am considering...NewGen** on the left, Schott on the right. Notice the lack of lug nuts on the right wheel.

**June 3 update: Apparently there are some issues with NewGen...be careful.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=464178

kanaw.jpg
2i6h1md.jpg

Wolverine, I bought magnum 500's

15x7 front

15x8 rear

245/60 front

275/60 rear

I'll get sOme pics when they are on

I have moonies now......

I went with 15x7 in the front and 15x8 in the rear. 235/60R15 frt and 245/60R15 in the rears.

My 72 is lowered about 2-3" so the 255 would have rubbed in the back. One thing to keep in mind with tires is that they are not all the same size even though they may be the same size....

Example...A 245/60R15 in a BF Goodrich has a lower sidewall and is wider than a 245/60R15 in a Firestone Firehawk. Not just that particular size, but across the entire product line.

I like the low fat look, but that differs from the factory tall and wide, so it comes down to your visual preference and of course traction.

Summit has the best deal, that I was able to find anyway on 500's. I paid $139ea for the Wheel Vintiques. They are close to me, so I got them next day for no xtra charge, so that's always a bonus.

How do you rotate the tires when the back tires are wider than the front? I've always wondered that. Just swap sides to rotate them?

How do you rotate the tires when the back tires are wider than the front? I've always wondered that. Just swap sides to rotate them?
Same size all the way around is best for rotation for sure, but not always necessary.

If the alignment is soild and air pressure is right, tire wear should be all good and swapping sides get's the job done.

Not completly ideal, but I ain't looking to get 50K out of the tires anyway.

Most high end super cars have staggered and directional wheels preventing tire rotation. No big deal unless you like buying four tires at a time.

No lug nuts or is it a cover that hides the lug nuts? :p
The manufacturer is like 4 miles from my shop. They have a very small tolerance on the center cap of the wheel so you really have to look to see the mating line.

They use a unique lock wrench that matches the wheel pattern to remove the center cap.

I really like the no lug look. On that wheel though, I would fill in the gap on the spokes and get a smaller hole between spokes. I think these run about $600 each, without chrome...but you do get to choose your color.

Outstanding owner.

No rotation unless you use your mustang for daily commuting, I drive mine 3000 miles a year so my tires should last 10-15 years.

My rears wore out before my fronts, in only 2 years and less than 5000 miles, they must have been defective.

:D

Back