Center gauge installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Conv; 1 of 17; 351C, 2V, Auto
I just bought a set of stock center gauges.

They still have the wiring with the stock connector.

Anyone have a good link that describes how to install them?

Do the auto parts stores carry the proper sending units for the gauges?

If your car did not come with the center gauges from the factory you will have to swap out the wiring harness as well . or you could run wires to make the oil and temp gauge work but the amp gauge will not work as it reads in amps not volts, unless you have the amp gauge converted to read volts http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-mustang-all

Last edited by a moderator:

If your car did not come with the center gauges from the factory you will have to swap out the wiring harness as well . or you could run wires to make the oil and temp gauge work but the amp gauge will not work as it reads in amps not volts, unless you have the amp gauge converted to read volts http://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-mustang-all
I can convert a standard harness into a tach-compatible harness, all OEM compatible.

I ended up installing Autogage 1.5" gauges (oil pressure, water temp, and volts) in my console cluster. They fit perfectly and look factory to the non-concours eye.

I ended up installing Autogage 1.5" gauges (oil pressure, water temp, and volts) in my console cluster. They fit perfectly and look factory to the non-concours eye.
How did you install these into the gauge pod? I've wanted to do this for awhile but don't see how to phisically install them into the pod.Do you have any pics?

Help: I had my idiot light gauges changed to a Tach by RCC, the idiot lights work, bit I will be adding a center gauge console with factory gauges and the amp gauge changed over to read volts (also by RCC). I plan to wire the center gauges direct. Will or can the idiot lights work if using the center console gauges?

Any advise or wiring recommendations will help a lot! Thanks.

You could make them both work. You will need separate sending units for water temp and oil pressure. There is a place in the water pump you can add a second temp sender. You could put a 'T' at the oil sending location and have both sending units connected to it. I would probably just look for a stock tach and then sell someone your RCC converted tach but that's me.

You can leave the idiot light for battery alone since you are converting your AMP gauge to volts.

Thanks Will. I believe I read that the sending units are different for the gauges vs the lights, correct? Also, wouldn't a stock tach require the tach wiring harness?
Yes and Yes.

Back