Done with the paint on 74 mustang. More pics!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Heres a couple of pics of the stripes im putting on my nephews 74 mustang II. Just painted them this afternoon. Gonna tape off the stripes and and spray the blue in the morning. Its getting there. Cant wait to get it done and out of the garage, so i can get the steering box in my 71 and take her for first drive of the year. Anyway, stripes will be lemans type with 2 wide stipes and 1/4 pinstripe beside them. Never done this before so I hope it turns out ok. I will post up some more tomorrow. If anyone knows.... how long do you leave the tape on after i shoot the blue? I dont want to leave it too long or too short of time and pull up the paint. Any reconmendations would be great. Sorry about the pic quality, i took them with my phone. thanks guys.

10z1u91.png

awyk2o.png

24fh5w5.jpg

2w7q1j7.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just my opinion and I'm sure some might disagree, but I have good luck if I let it set just to where I can touch it and not smudge,( touch the paper lol ) I think I get a cleaner edge than if I let it totaly dry out. But the down side of that is you have to be extremly carful not to let anything touch your new paint. Hope it helps, Try a small spot and if you don't like it stop and wait..

This is just my opinion and I'm sure some might disagree, but I have good luck if I let it set just to where I can touch it and not smudge,( touch the paper lol ) I think I get a cleaner edge than if I let it totaly dry out. But the down side of that is you have to be extremly carful not to let anything touch your new paint. Hope it helps, Try a small spot and if you don't like it stop and wait..
How long do i have to wait to lay out the stripes on the white with tape? I just went out to the garage and it seems like its settinng up well. White has been drying about 4 hours. now. Thought i might try and get the rest done this evening???

Turtle: Thats a hard one to answer, it can vary with different paints. Sometimes if your to quick even though it seems OK it will leave a track after its been there awhile if you go to soon.

I guess my best answer would be get online and find the technical data sheet for the paint your using, and see what there tape free recomendation is. But off the top of my head I'd say 8 or 10 hrs to be safe, which should still keep you in the recoat window for your white. Thus meaning most paint has a recoat time which after that it needs to be sanded.

let it dry for a day,you dont want it comeing off like a week or so just let it dry and you should be fine,good luck

Thanks for the input guys. But I dont think he needs a v8 yet. If he can keep it shiny side up with the 4 banger in it for a year or two then we will talk about v8 swap. He has also been looking into getting a 2.3 out of a thunderbird turbo coupe. That could be fun in this thing.

Here are some more pics. All shot and cleared. Turned out way better than i could of hoped for. Thanks Pappy for the advice on the stripes They turned out great!!! Not bad for my first paintjob and a harbour freight gun lol!! The gun actually worked really well!! :D Im just hoping my nephew will like it as much as me:p

11rev0z.png

15x1yc6.png

10cr9fr.png

219ukpc.png

348fzag.png

2q3u6q9.png

2nh2u5u.png

209km0w.png

ezr9g2.png

1z4a59k.png

xdhydz.png

Back