Map light?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
31 Model A Station Wagon “Woody”
69 Mach 1 - 351C
72 Mach 1 - 351C
96 Cobra Convertible
Did any of the 71-73's come with a map light in the center of the dash? My '72 Mach has a open space where there should be one. I was in a large junkyard today that had several very stripped cars, but even where the parts of the dash were present where the light would connect--no map lights.

Yes it was part of the convenience package. Came with a trunk and under the hood light I believe. I have only seen a few of them they are very hard to find.
Too true - one of those things you really have to wait for and keep your eyes peeled.

I picked one up on eBay a few months ago, but have not installed it yet, I don't think my harness has the factory plug for it so I'll have to wire it myself.

I found one at the Columbus Ohio swap meet a few years ago for a couple of bucks. There should be a blank plate there if there is no light.

It was an option.

If you add one you will have to hard wire it, there is no plug for it.

I have the lenses

Item #D1ZZ-13734

71-73 CENTER DASH MAP LIGHT LENS

Yep.

IMG_16191.jpg

Does the map light come on when the door is opened or just operated by the switch on the light?

I have one that I never installed and my car is not wired for it?

My convertible has one.....has a switch built into the light and I actually had it working last year....also went on when you opened the door....but it stopped working at the end of the summer....so I have to take the dash apart again to fix it.

Does the map light come on when the door is opened or just operated by the switch on the light?

I have one that I never installed and my car is not wired for it?
Comes on either way by jamb switch or the manual switch

If you look at the light it has 2 power wires and 1 ground

Don

My '71 Grande with convenience group has a map light with three postion switch, dome light, under dash side lights, trunk light and engine light.

The three position switch is off, on or on when you open a door.

mike

Now I have to go open the trunk to see if there is anything there. My '69 has the convenience group, but not sure about my '72. I am guessing not since it doesn't have the map light.

Yup, mine has it too. But with a still intact white lens. Guess the previous owners knew where they were going... :)

My '71 Grande with convenience group has a map light with three postion switch, dome light, under dash side lights, trunk light and engine light.

mike
Would you mind posting a pic of the trunk and hood light? Mine parted ways with the car.. probably when it was painted. :mad:

mike
Would you mind posting a pic of the trunk and hood light? Mine parted ways with the car.. probably when it was painted. :mad:
Here is mine

Flashlight.jpg

Back