Can't see out the rear window? try this...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don65Stang

Reaction score
My Car
Several.
Was reading a post and saw this rear view mirror video screen and thought I would share since this is a rant for most of us sportsroof owners.

I haven't tested my map light yet, but I'm tossing around the idea of replacing it with some kind of fold-down bracket for a back-up camera screen (that whole 'looking backward out of a gun-turret' effect kinda bugs me a bit). The wife found a rear-view mirror that has a screen with GPS and all sorts of other functionality built-in, but I don't want just a basic mirror with a small section for all that - I want the whole thing to be the screen since it's pretty much useless as a rear-view mirror as it is.
Pyle PLCM105 - Rear view mirror/video screen w 2 inputs

PLCM105.jpg

PLCM105_LCD_monitor.jpg

Thanks Don. I had seen this earlier, and is on my short-list - even if I have to zip-tie it to the stock rear-view mirror. LOL!

I'm still looking for an actual 'mirror-like' solution, which I'll post here as I find different items.

I've spent too much time putting the ass-end of my car back together to risk damaging it by simply backing up... ya know? ;) :D

The PLCM102 version is a clip on video screen.

PLM102.jpg

What I really want is it to be a three (3) video input video screen so I can eliminate both the side view mirrors. i would divide the screen to show 3 segments: driver's side of the car, rear view, and pass side of the car. Perhaps I could either mount the side camera in the existing door mirror housings or eliminate the door mirrors completely. It would probably take some getting used to to check the rear view mirror first to change lanes... i.e. look to the upper right to go left. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still looking for an actual 'mirror-like' solution, which I'll post here as I find different items.

I've spent too much time putting the ass-end of my car back together to risk damaging it by simply backing up... ya know? ;) :D
Mirror.jpg

This one helps and it snaps on and off of your stock mirror, I got it as a gift. Of course it doesn't give the 180 degree they advertised (you see a lot of the interior of your own car) but it's an improvement over the rear view mirror that came with the car, espcially since the optics on mine is kind of "milky" and not as clear as this one. The nice thing is it snaps on and off and can be adjusted higher to get a better view out of the rear window.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102592854&c=#moreinfo

This is the rear view mirror used by police officers and professional racecar drivers to eliminate blind spots. The patented, seamless mirror has a 180-degree field of view (standard mirrors offer only 52 degrees) that provides a distortion-free reflection of rear traffic across an entire five-lane highway, and it allows continuous monitoring of adjacent vehicles from the moment they begin to pass until they are visible in your peripheral vision.

The mirror automatically reduces the headlight glare of trailing vehicles by 50%, clamps to your existing rear view mirror without requiring the use of tools or adhesives, and is entirely shatterproof. 15-3/4" W x 2-3/4" H x 3/4" D. (10 oz.)

This one helps and it snaps on and off of your stock mirror, I got it as a gift. Of course it doesn't give the 180 degree they advertised (you see a lot of the interior of your own car) but it's an improvement over the rear view mirror that came with the car, espcially since the optics on mine is kind of "milky" and not as clear as this one. The nice thing is it snaps on and off and can be adjusted higher to get a better view out of the rear window.

http://www.skymall.com/shopping/detail.htm?pid=102592854&c=#moreinfo

This is the rear view mirror used by police officers and professional racecar drivers to eliminate blind spots. The patented, seamless mirror has a 180-degree field of view (standard mirrors offer only 52 degrees) that provides a distortion-free reflection of rear traffic across an entire five-lane highway, and it allows continuous monitoring of adjacent vehicles from the moment they begin to pass until they are visible in your peripheral vision.

The mirror automatically reduces the headlight glare of trailing vehicles by 50%, clamps to your existing rear view mirror without requiring the use of tools or adhesives, and is entirely shatterproof. 15-3/4" W x 2-3/4" H x 3/4" D. (10 oz.)
By 'mirror-like,' I meant an LCD screen for a back-up camera that looks like a normal rear-view mirror. The ones I've found so far only have small sections dedicated to the camera image. I wouldn't mind having a 'clip-on' screen though, as long as it's full-screen and doesn't block out too much forward visibility.

The problem with a standard mirror (enhanced such as this or not), is that the perspective point still only allows minimal outward vision through the rear window, as there is only so much that can be afforded based on the 14-degree rake.

Thanks for posting it though - someone else might be able to use it.

The PLCM102 version is a clip on video screen.

PLM102.jpg

What I really want is it to be a three (3) video input video screen so I can eliminate both the side view mirrors. i would divide the screen to show 3 segments: driver's side of the car, rear view, and pass side of the car. Perhaps I could either mount the side camera in the existing door mirror housings or eliminate the door mirrors completely. It would probably take some getting used to to check the rear view mirror first to change lanes... i.e. look to the upper right to go left. lol
I'm right there with ya, Don.

I'm liking this unit more and more. I might even consider making a flip-down bracket right at the top of the windshield frame and going with no rear-view mirror altogether (if it's legal to do so). Hafta kick it around a bit.

Ive been thinking about doing this and putting a small enough LCD screen under to ash tray door on the console

I've posted these pics before on an earlier thread. I put in two cameras and two screens. One wide-aspect cam on the numberplate and one standard-aspect cam behind the top of the passenger-side windscreen pointing out at the blind spot. I use the reverse camera periodically to make sure I'm not going to back over a toddler, but I use the blind-spot cam ALL the time for changing lanes on the road. Whole cars disappear into the fastback blind-spot and being able to see them hiding in there has been invaluable to me.

cam2.jpg

cam1.jpg

cam_3.jpg

I actually purchased that Pyle audio camera referenced at the top of the thread. It works like a champ!

Rather than clip it onto the existing mirror, I mounted it to the roof between the sun visors on a flip-down bracket that turned out to be a motorcycle tank bag GPS mounting bracket. When I need it, I flip it down... when I don't, I flip it back up just like the sun visors - it also blends into the headliner really well. Added bonus: When the sun shines through that area of no sun visor coverage, it works amazingly well as a third sun visor as well. The wiring runs through the interior windshield trim (just like the hands-free mic for the Bluetooth radio feature), so they're really a stealthy modern upgrade.

Rather than drill a hole or have camera hanging down under the bumper, I picked up a license plate frame add-on camera as well. But, the night-vision features would've been canceled out by the license plate light, so I also got some motorcycle LED license plate fasteners to illuminate the plate. They're mounted in such a manner to light the plate from two points (upper mounting holes), and still not blind the camera at night - power for the lights is tapped into the license plate light circuit, of course.

I'll try to get some pics of the whole thing soon.

There is a cooler version of this where the rear view mirror becomes a LCD when the car is in reverse I think summit had the kit last year, camera, wire, rear view with mount, etc. not sure the cost was pretty expensive but there was a demo on you tube and it was pretty sweet the rear view looked stock and only turned into a LCD screen when in reverse.

OK - since I apparently forgot to update this with some pics, here they are:

The monitor clipped onto the mirror (temporarily, until I relocate the GPS mount I found and mount it properly):

attachment.php

Here's the camera I bought (Pyle Audio's pic - still need one of mine mounted):

PLCM10.jpg

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLCM10/Rear-View-Backup-ParkingReverse-Camera,-License-Plate-Mount,-Weatherproof,-Night-Vision,-Distance-Scale-Line-Display,-Swivel-Angle-Adjustable-Cam

Here are the license plate mounting fasteners with LEDs, so the stock LP light doesn't blind the night vision camera:

dual_color.jpg

http://www.customdynamics.com/illuminatorz_licence_plates.htm#LED_Tag_Bolts

And finally, the mounting bracket from Twisted Throttle.com:

php3t95vq.jpg

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/bags-connection-gps-pda-ram-gadget-holder-bracket-for-quick-lock-tankbags

Basically, I'll be mounting the monitor to the bracket (where the snaps are) with a rear-view mirror-sized plate, and stick it all together with 3M tape for extra security. Then, mount the plate to the "halo ring" above the windshield, between the sun visors. It should flip-down when I need it, then flip back up again when I don't... and also make a dandy third sun-visor. ;) :D

More pics to come... I promise.

E,

I was going with the monitor which clamps on the mirror also. http://www.rockyamericas.com/usa/products/rear_view_mirror_lcd_monitor_AL-680H.html As I looked at your pics I was thinking about the fact that my mirror is not yet mounted and your pic made me think that I might purposely glue it higher than the stock location. Is your mirror stock location...? looks really low...maybe it's just the angle of the pic...

What's the distance from the top of your windshield to the top of the glue on mount? Just had a thought that it may be easier to measure this on the outside of the windshield. If you don't mind, take a pic showing the measurement with the tape on the windshield, from the outside.

Using the monitor in the pic you posted above, how much higher could the mirror be moved up, from it's current position, while having the monitor clamped onto it and still not effect the swing of the visors?

Those tag bolt lights are totally cool. Hadn't thought about the LP light blinding the camera. Good thought. Is the "halo" the anchor point for the two sunvisors? I think you need to mount that mounting bracket right away and save me the time in figuring out whether that is the best idea!!! Would you please get on that!

E

Has anyone seen this mirror/monitors,

http://www.amazon.com/Crimestopper-SV-9154-Replacement-Mirror-Monitor/dp/B006ZOCBES

all the options available: http://www.crimestopper.com/products/safetyplus/monitors/mirror-monitors.html

And link to cameras: http://www.crimestopper.com/products/safetyplus/cameras/license-plate-cameras.html

It says that it has two inputs. I am looking at one rear camera input only. We have a Lexus RX that has a similar system from factory and works great. The camera takes about 1/3 of the mirror when in reverse. The other option is to find a OEM cemera/mirror at a junk yard.

Basically, I'll be mounting the monitor to the bracket (where the snaps are) with a rear-view mirror-sized plate, and stick it all together with 3M tape for extra security. Then, mount the plate to the "halo ring" above the windshield, between the sun visors. It should flip-down when I need it, then flip back up again when I don't... and also make a dandy third sun-visor. ;) :D

More pics to come... I promise.
Just wondering how this project is going, and if anyone else has come up with any more innovative solutions to the fastback visibility problem.

Don - I apologize. I haven't gotten any farther than the last pictures I posted... except that I did finally locate the bracket from Twisted Throttle I'd bought. I'm having a hard time bringing my self to drill holes through my really nice new headliner. :-/

E - my mirror is in the stock location. The new windshield came from Safelite with the mirror mounting button already on it in the stock location.

All of the Crimestopper mirrors have 4.3" LCDs built-in to standard mirrors... which isn't what I'm after. I'm still looking for a full-size mirror/LCD unit... and the clip-on Pyle monitor is the closest thing I've found so far. If I find a standard mirror/full LCD screen though (like the ones I showed pics of earlier), that Pyle monitor is outta there. Probably why I haven't mounted the bracket yet - I might be subconsciously holding out for the mirror/LCD I'm wanting. ;)

BTW - this past October, as I was pulling out of the driveway my buddy was in his H2 right behind me. The camera/monitor set-up's night-vision worked great... until I got directly into his headlight beams... then everything kind of went white until I moved out back of the beams. I guess that's just to be expected.

I also have louvers on my car now, so I might consider running a lead up to the underside of one of the slats and place a smaller camera for a better perspective (maybe to the underside of the top slat to capture more 'blindspot' area in addition to the view backward) - just depends on how limiting the louvers are to the field of vision. Not to mention heat - I would imagine the black louvers in the sun might have unexpected heat-related side-effects on the camera. We'll see, I guess.

I'm going to get in trouble... but having owned '71-3 fastbacks for most of my adult life I learned to see out the back window by learning how to drive and using the side mirrors... oh oh...::devil::

Back