Reasonable price to have seats reupholstered

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDew

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1, Brite Lime, 351C Ram Air, Tilt, Fold Down Seat, Louvers, and more.
Okay. I bought the seat covers, front seat foam, batting, burlap base, and the hog rings with the tools. After wasting a half of bag of hog rings, I'm wondering what would be a fair price to have someone that knows what they are doing recover my seats (Mach 1, Sport Seats by TMI from NPD). I have the seats out and ready to go. I'm in Michigan so the Tijuana Special isn't what I'm looking for. I'm also not looking for the Royal Vaseline Treatment, either. Does anybody know someone that is good...and fair?

Thanks. Dew

I did mine myself and they turned out pretty good. Just have to take your time and make sure they are nice and warm to stretch well. All the rods you have to put back in are the toughest part. You have to have the cover inside out to hog ring it in the creases then after its in try to turn it out the right way and try to strecth the HELL out of them to get them over the back. If you were in PA I would offer to help ya out.... you buy the beer of course. But you should be able to find an upholstry shop near you to do them for a decent price. They shouldnt have any trouble with them.

+1 Do it yourself. I've done both my cars. Just take your time and when you get pissed off...stop and go back to it later.

Don't pay anyone, just grab someone's leather jacket and some staples:

316vifd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a cousin in Plainwell that does upholstery. He has a very good reputation for quality work.

Talsma Auto Upholstery

91 10th Street, Plainwell, MI 49080

(269) 685-5727
Thanks Jeff. I'll give him a call. We'll see you down at Gilmores again this year, right? Check out what the car is looking like now...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rushmore-Body-Co/308279580123

2 at Gilmores Barn 1024.jpg

We did the upholstery on my Grande. The problem being the new seat foam is

thicker and denser than the original making fitting the upholstery very difficult.

The results, with a lot of patience and some whiskey, are excellent. Whiskey is

an important component of the project.

Would I do it again..........

mike

HPIM2531.JPG

Looks like you are missing something major on your parts list. BEER!!

I agree with Mike & Turtle...WHEN you get pissed, just take a beer/whiskey break, both maybe needed! I have always done my own and saved a bunch of cash, but it can be tedious and physically difficult at times.

I will say that these high backs were probably the hardest ones I have done. I stripped them down to the frames and started from there, just like we you are at.

Lay them out in the sun and get them nice and hot before you even attempt to out them on or you will be killing yourself. I did mine in winter and it was a chore. At one point I put the covers in the oven for a few minutes then hurried to get them on.

Make sure that onec you get them stretched and on, you get the corners secured, but before you put the other 20-30 on, bolt the seats together and make sure that your stitch lines all line up from the seat back to the bottom. Otherwise, you will be cutting the hog rings off and re positioning them to get them straight.

From someone that has done it before that sucks! But when it comes out straight, it makes all the pain worth while.

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's alot of work, You sure you'll have it done by summer? It looks like you're making good progress. Is that the same Rushmore that sponsors cars at K-zoo Speedway?
If I get the seats done, I should have it ready to go NLT May. I wouldn't doubt that it is the same Rushmore but I'm not absolute on it. I'm eager but I'm not rushing it. Dan has a few others that have been asking when their cars will be done, so I'm not going to add any pressure. I've been getting the pieces-parts and bringing them over every week or so so I can see the progress. Don't worry. I'll be out there soon.

Back