Engine Rebuild Update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Spent the whole day with the 'vert. Cut and installed new heater hoses and cleaned and shined the weird parts that attach to them. Set the new Holley carb on top of the intake to see what it'll look like:

Engine Picture 3-29-12.JPG

Poured 2 $10 quarts of Royal Purple into the distributor hole, which promptly flowed through the oil pan and onto the garage floor because I ASSumed that the rebuild shop had replaced the drain plug. Went to NAPA twice to get the right size plug (1/2"-20). Spent another $30 on Royal Purple and tried it again. This time it stayed in, so I spun the oil pump by hand a bit, and tracked down some vacuum lines and replaced them with new stuff.

Anybody recognize the thingy in the two photos below, as well as the steel "spacer" or whatever it is? The were in a bag, along with the ground strap, that I labeled "Rear Passenger Side (intake) manifold", and the tape on the vacuum line attached to it is labeled "Carb" and it has two electrical prongs on either side of the vacuum nozzle:

PS Rear Manifold.JPG

PS Rear Manifold (2).JPG

Thanks!

Doc

Power steering pump spacer.

You might find you have to uninstall those heater hoses to get the valve covers on.

LOOKING GOOD!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys. Will - diameter too small for steering pump bolt, and I think it goes with the other piece. Chuck - it makes sense but I need a pic to figure out how it mounts. Back to the Google net. :)

Doc

The spacer is for your Alternator. I have one on mine. Should be 1 1/2" long.

I think you are dealing with item #13 on the diagram, says it mount to the transmission. WHAT A NIGHTMARE...

And, that carb is Bee Ute EEE Full...I would cover the top, and your water inlet and your distributor hole. And the blue is really nice. What paint did you use?

I would not put any of that emissions crap back on the motor, and that is what that piece appears to be. All it did was cause the car to run hot, and burn more fuel. Piece of crap Cal Air Resource Board. And good luck making sure all that junk works right.

I hate having left over parts.

Thank you, Sir! Ya, the engine has its own heavy duty bath towel that keeps everything covered except when it's picture time.

I used Dupli-Color Engine Enamel DE 1606 Ford Dark Blue, and the same brand gloss black for other stuff.

No emissions stuff will go back on, as long as I can identify it and it's not needed to make the car run reasonably.

Doc

Darn it! I typed alternator at first and then changed it to power steering (the bag in the picture made me doubt myself). ;)
Hey, I thought you had it nailed until doc said it didn't fit.

No emissions stuff will go back on, as long as I can identify it and it's not needed to make the car run reasonably.
Well, then you won't need brakes!!!!

I think there might be a vacuum diagram in the Ford Shop Manual. Not sure if it is there, or if there was a separate diagram like there was for the electrical. Let me know if I need to dig it up for you.

Are you using stock air cleaner with the vacuum bypass to send warm air to the carb until your baby heats up?

Darn it! I typed alternator at first and then changed it to power steering (the bag in the picture made me doubt myself). ;)
Hey, I thought you had it nailed until doc said it didn't fit.

Well, then you won't need brakes!!!!

I think there might be a vacuum diagram in the Ford Shop Manual. Not sure if it is there, or if there was a separate diagram like there was for the electrical. Let me know if I need to dig it up for you.

Are you using stock air cleaner with the vacuum bypass to send warm air to the carb until your baby heats up?
Thanks, James. No need for the diagram at this time. Haven't considered the air cleaner yet, but it's almost time. I probably will use it at least temporarily.

Been contemplating and thinking a lot about the power increases and related horsepower stuff. Brakes and stopping..... not so much. :D

Doc

Been contemplating and thinking a lot about the power increases and related horsepower stuff. Brakes and stopping..... not so much. Big Grin
You crack me up! Looking good Doc! What's the anticipated start date?

Back