Distinctive Industries Rear Seat Upholstery DONE! Check it out

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archifx

Reaction score
My Car
72' Mustang Fastback (Mach1 Wannabe :)
The package from Distinctive Industries has finally arrived containing the much awaited full upholstery set from the front and back seats. I was very surprised to find out that this upholstery is manufactured in the good ol’ U.S.A! That fact alone gave me a great feeling when installing this upholstery. This is my very first upholstery project and I think it came out exceptionally well with all things considered. I made all of the foam as well... Let me know what ya'll think

Click here to see all 55 Photos of the process

[video=youtube]

http://www.mach1restoration.com/upholstering-the-upper-back-seat-71-72-73-mustang-fastback/

back-seat-upper-upholstery-25-595x446.jpg

This section was a bit more challenging mainly because I had to produce and sculpt the foam for this seat. The aftermarket does not remanufacture the seat foam for the 71-73 Mustang so you will be at the mercy of saving your old nasty foam (not recommended) or making your own like I did.

The seat upholstery is probably the best I have ever seen, it is provided by Distinctive Industries and is made in the good ol’ U.S.A. I laid down a fresh coat of burlap over the existing seat frame and then laid down a layer of 1″ foam across the entire seat. Next I cut some 3″ thick density foam for the seat areas (these were square cuts) I then added another layer of 1″ foam across the center hump of the seat. On the ramp of the rear seat I left the 1″thick foam and cut another piece of 1″ foam for the center upper hump. After laying the upholstery over the seat I installed the wire into the areas provided on the underside of the upholstery. I made some relief cuts to pull the seat lowers thru and hog-ringed them to the frame. Starting from the upper center and working my way around the seat, I hog-ringed the rest of the upholstery down. Batting had to be added to the upper and lower parts of the seat to remove rippling of the upholstery.

CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL 50 PHOTOS OF THE PROCESS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys. I appreciate the positive feedback! It looks and feels very nice. Will post photos of the lower half soon! Turning out nice!

I'm going to be doing my seat upholstery in a little while...probably going to study this pretty close!
Cool! I am getting ready to post up the photos of the lower rear seat... This was a bit more challenging because they do not make the molded foam for the rear seat. I was at the mercy of making my own and have a few tips on thickness etc. I'll get those photos and update my blog ASAP on this. Thanks for the feedback!

The package from Distinctive Industries has finally arrived containing the much awaited full upholstery set from the front and back seats. I was very surprised to find out that this upholstery is manufactured in the good ol’ U.S.A! That fact alone gave me a great feeling when installing this upholstery. This is my very first upholstery project and I think it came out exceptionally well with all things considered. I made all of the foam as well... Let me know what ya'll think
It looks fantastic! Good job! Also your web page looks great too.

Looks good keep us posted..
Thanks a bunch guys!!! I just posted the other video and the rest of the pics from the lower half!

Back