FINISHED Shelby tail light panel in a 1971 Coupe!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang Ricky

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Coupe
002.JPG002.JPG003.JPG004.JPG008.JPG016.JPG021.JPG024.JPG028.JPG030.JPG010.JPG015.JPGFinished welding in the steel Shelby tail light panel. It looks fantastic. It was worth the extra work and expense. Now we go to the next step the body work and priming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suprisingly it wasn't that difficult! The tail light panel needed to be trimmed to fit and 2 small filler pieces added to the sides of the panel. Made some measurements from several reference points, bumper holes and fuel filler opening lined up perfectly. The fiberglass one that was on the car when I bought it looked ok but I recommend steel if you are going to make the conversion.

Saw this on a finished 72 the other day and it looked so clean and really brought the "blah" stock rearend out. I am really more into stock exteriors, but it looked so nice it made me wish that I had done it to mine before painting it.

The Shelby tailights really go with the long wide rear end and look they were designed for that tailight panel.

Think I like them better in a 71-73 then I do on all the other years!

Nice job!

Saw this on a finished 72 the other day and it looked so clean and really brought the "blah" stock rearend out. I am really more into stock exteriors, but it looked so nice it made me wish that I had done it to mine before painting it.

The Shelby tailights really go with the long wide rear end and look they were designed for that tailight panel.

Think I like them better in a 71-73 then I do on all the other years!

Nice job!

Thanks! I will install the sequential wiring harness as well.

Back