Engine paint color

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgtjd

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
I have a 1973 351C 2V. I noticed a few different blues under the hood. However, what is the correct color of blue for most items under the hood?

DE 1606, Dark Blue?

DE 1621, Old Ford blue?

DE 1601, Ford Blue.

VHT SP138 New Ford Blue?

Too many. Which is the correct blue to use on a 73 351C?

I've had good luck with #224. It's either Duplicolor or Plasticote, can't remember which.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 1973 351C 2V. I noticed a few different blues under the hood. However, what is the correct color of blue for most items under the hood?

DE 1606, Dark Blue?

DE 1621, Old Ford blue?

DE 1601, Ford Blue.

VHT SP138 New Ford Blue?

Too many. Which is the correct blue to use on a 73 351C?
If you're looking for concourse, I think someone will come along with the correct color.

For just "original looking", some have stated that Dupli-Color Ford Dark Blue looks pretty good:

Short Block 1 (Small).jpg

Doc

POR 15 makes a Ford corporate blue engine enamel that is about the best I've found. Make sure you thin it a bit before you spray it. Did a buddy's 428ci, 1966 T-bird with it and it was a spot on match. Being an enamel, its also just like how Ford did it originally.

http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EEPA/

POR 15 makes a Ford corporate blue engine enamel that is about the best I've found. Make sure you thin it a bit before you spray it. Did a buddy's 428ci, 1966 T-bird with it and it was a spot on match. Being an enamel, its also just like how Ford did it originally.

http://www.por15.com/ENGINE-ENAMEL/productinfo/EEPA/
Which will last longer...spraying the paint or brushing the paint?

Also, do we paint over the freeze plugs, or leave them as brass?

You'll never be able to brush the paint on as well as it being sprayed.

Definitely spray the paint. Ford pretty much sprayed over everything. Freeze plugs included so don't be bashful with it.

I also used Dupli color Ford Dark Blue on my recent repaint. It looks pretty original if I may say so myself.

20150417_142752_zps6kszl2hi.jpg

20150503_174237_zpso4fjdjgg.jpg

I will have to say that the Ford Dark Blue does look the best, correct or not. I originally had the lighter "grabber" looking blue and it looked stupid, which is why it is now Dark Ford Blue.

You'll hear many versions of what is the correct blue for 1966/ Ford engines. I've always used Plasti-Kote #224. Having been involved in MANY engine projects over the years for friends and myself, I found this color best matched what was on the engines we pulled. In fact this is what we used at the Ford dealer to paint shop built engines and to touch up Ford built engines going in customers cars. A friend of mine who restores Mustangs used the Plasti-kote on his personal 68 GT500 KR Shelby and it looked really great!

It does get confusing for sure. The paint companies with rattle cans for some reason do not label the way they should. The correct color for 73 is as stated "Ford Corporate Blue". Ford painted everything that color, machines, parts racks, assembly equipment. It more looked like the blue in the Ford emblem. I have not seen a rattle can with this stated correct color in years. It is the darkest blue and in Dupli-Color Engine enamel it is "DE 1606 Ford Dark Blue".

I bought a 73 new and still have. When the factory painted the engines it was not a very good job. You asked about the freeze plugs or actually core plugs mine were maybe half painted. There were runs in places and bare places. They painted with the engine assembled, valve covers, oil pan on and oil filter on. I have been doing some cleaning up of my driver in the picture you can see a little of the engine color. I know the air con bracket needed to be phosphate but this is my driver and the phosphate does not hold up that good.

Don't want to hijack this 73 discussion but I purchased a 72 and I believe they were the next lighter color of blue? Is that correct?

David

DSC_2014.JPG

While Corporate Blue is correct, it's all a matter of opinion when it comes to what "looks" best.

Sorry - but even though "Old Ford Blue" isn't correct, I like it a LOT better. :cool:

engine1.jpg

While Corporate Blue is correct, it's all a matter of opinion when it comes to what "looks" best.

Sorry - but even though "Old Ford Blue" isn't correct, I like it a LOT better. :cool:
The lighter blue is correct for 71 - 72, only 73 gets the corporate blue unless I am mistaken.

The lighter blue is correct for 71 - 72, only 73 gets the corporate blue unless I am mistaken.
Yeah... that's not what I heard when I first painted it - trust me. :shootself:

Regardless, mine's a restomod anyway, so there's no way I'm pulling the engine just to repaint it a color someone else prefers or thinks is 'correct.' ::blah:: :poke:

Back