Coupe v. Grande Coupe

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 915

Reaction score
Hey y'all, i have seen a couple different posts mentioning grande coupes.... and i was wondereing, what is the difference between a coupe and a grande coupe? i am pretty new to this bod style of mustang and still have a lot to learn! thanks!

thetoolman

They actually had different body codes 65d for the hardtop (Coupe) and 65F for the Grande. Basically the Grande is a well optioned Coupe. I know most of the Grande options could be ordered on the coupe but I don't know if there was anything exclusive to the Grande. The Grande badge being an obvious exception.

They actually had different body codes 65d for the hardtop (Coupe) and 65F for the Grande. Basically the Grande is a well optioned Coupe. I know most of the Grande options could be ordered on the coupe but I don't know if there was anything exclusive to the Grande. The Grande badge being an obvious exception.
{thumbs up} And i believe the grande came with extra sound insulation too that was not on the mach 1 or coupe...{atleast i read that on a old magazine add from the 70's}...Sence it was the lux version...It got all the trim and lux....that you could still order on the coupe.

While some of the features are different for the 1971 and 1972 Grandes, below are the additional features found on the 1973 Grande which goes beyond those found on the standard Coupe:

-Color-keyed dual racing mirrors, left hand remote control

-Full vinyl roof

-Bright "Script" on "C" pillar

-Deluxe wheel covers

-Unique accent stripe on bodyside

-Deluxe instrument panel with black appliques with woodtone applique on center portion

-Unique molded door trim panel

-Deluxe cloth trim inserts, front and rear

-Electric clock

-rear ash tray in right quarter trim panel

-Bright metal trim on the accelerator, brake, brake release and clutch pads

-Interior identification plaque

-Trunk mat

Hopefully this gives you some idea as to the "differences."

BT

I found this older Hemming article.

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2005/05/01/hmn_feature17.html

-Didn't have time to research it too much but I did notice the reference of the Boss 351 engine. Only the Boss 351 received the Boss 351 engine (R code in 71). This was in part describing the staggered shocks as offered with the "Competition Suspension" as equipped with the higher powered engine choices. - and a few spelling mistakes... (Lambent clot insert ???)

Ray

While some of the features are different for the 1971 and 1972 Grandes, below are the additional features found on the 1973 Grande which goes beyond those found on the standard Coupe:

-Full vinyl roof

-Deluxe wheel covers

-Deluxe instrument panel with black appliques with woodtone applique on center portion

-Electric clock

-Trunk mat

BT

AAAAmen .

I like my neato wide black/thicker shift handle too........

Speculation that a higher % had AC?

production number we much lower too like 15,000 or so.

-Full vinyl roof

-Deluxe wheel covers

-Electric clock

-Trunk mat

BT

AAAAmen .

I like my neato wide black/thicker shift handle too........

Speculation that a higher % had AC?

production number we much lower too like 15,000 or so.
Actually, production was higher than 15,000 over the three year production period.

1971 = 17,406 Grandes

1972 = 18,045 Grandes

1973 = 25,274 Grandes

Source: "Mustang...by the Numbers (1967 -1973) by Kevin Marti

BT

Mine came with the instrumentation and convenience group plus toploader, competition suspension, 351C 4V, A/C etc, etc.

But what makes it different from a Mach1 with all the frills is the 'Grande' logo on the rear window pillar plus a

different front grill and tail light panel. There is also the 65F body style.

mike

My Mach 1 came with a brunette

Back