pits in body filler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rentascout

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach One
Okay so I am standing in my garage and sanding down my filler and I notice some areas that have little pits in them. Now I know not to sand in one spot for the fact that u are making more work, but I am wondering what to do with the pits. Now this is my first coat and now I have a skim coat coming but want to know if I should sand them out or just fill them in. I'll try to load a pics so u can see. Thanks guys

IMAG0315.jpg

I would say to sand till the overall looks good then hit it with your skim coat to fill in the pits. Ihad same problem when i did my nephews car and seemed like air bubbles in the putty. Im sure someone else that knows a whole lot more than me about body work will help ya out.

Okay so I am standing in my garage and sanding down my filler and I notice some areas that have little pits in them. Now I know not to sand in one spot for the fact that u are making more work, but I am wondering what to do with the pits. Now this is my first coat and now I have a skim coat coming but want to know if I should sand them out or just fill them in. I'll try to load a pics so u can see. Thanks guys
Looks like spots where the filler wasn't thoroughly mixed (kinda like lumps in dough when you don't mix it properly) Or you could have picked up some junk from the surface when spreading. Take your finger nail & see if they are soft if so then it needs to be sanded out...If they are holes don't worry..just blow with the air gun... skim coat ..sand...Your FINISH coat should be done with polyester glazing putty..Not bondo..

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh no doubt. I am just kicking myself now. I put on too much not enough and pretty much end up sanding it all back off. I cannot work filler to save my life. Thanks brother

So I need to use something else for the final step and not the same filler I have been using? Everyday I learn more and more

LOL Thanks Scott i knew you would come along with a good suggestion , that was the first one i came across when i did a quick internet search , thought it would give Russ an idea of what to use

Okay guys I need a map I am lost. I have taken ever step possible to make sure this stuff goes on right so far I have used a gallon of filler and sanders down 3/4 of gallon off it. This is killing me and I am starting to lose thrill. I just mix some up and ill put it on so all can get a laugh out of it. I am using about 2 percent and i still get the sticky crap. I can not get it to smooth out and now I am doing more work than needed.

I even called body shops something I hate because military town are full of garbage army body guys, but I cannot get the job done. I smooth one side and jack the other up. I am making zero progress , if I can latitude I might as well dump it on and hope it dries.

Here is the trash I am making I hope someone laughs because I cannot

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

Okay guys I need a map I am lost. I have taken ever step possible to make sure this stuff goes on right so far I have used a gallon of filler and sanders down 3/4 of gallon off it. This is killing me and I am starting to lose thrill. I just mix some up and ill put it on so all can get a laugh out of it. I am using about 2 percent and i still get the sticky crap. I can not get it to smooth out and now I am doing more work than needed.

I even called body shops something I hate because military town are full of garbage army body guys, but I cannot get the job done. I smooth one side and jack the other up. I am making zero progress , if I can latitude I might as well dump it on and hope it dries.

Here is the trash I am making I hope someone laughs because I cannot
The filler is no good..I can tell from the pic the way it's mixing laying down NOT YOUR FAULT..Buy a gallon of this

http://www.boatersland.com/fib100106.html?gclid=CJetodP9ma8CFQ566wodRXgpZw

Thanks Q. This killing me I am going to make a body filler rope and hang myself. Hell probably screw that up. So do I need to sand down all the areas I have done minus fender it is getting wipe clean off. What glaze should I use. I need to the bone type, and that's goes on after I have sanded filler smooth then skim coat with glaze, I will have to go back and lightly sand glaze right. Do u have a video I didn't see on this too many crappy ones out there

Thanks Q. This killing me I am going to make a body filler rope and hang myself. Hell probably screw that up. So do I need to sand down all the areas I have done minus fender it is getting wipe clean off. What glaze should I use. I need to the bone type, and that's goes on after I have sanded filler smooth then skim coat with glaze, I will have to go back and lightly sand glaze right. Do u have a video I didn't see on this too many crappy ones out there
Yep I bet you could just scrape it off with a heat gun & putty knife..Clean metal with 80 grit..apply filler..start with 40 grit to rough shape..finish to 80-100 grit..apply glaze..see above post I linked in this thread...sand glaze with 120 just to knock down..smooth..then 180...then primer..No vid yet..Also sounds like not enough hardener in the filler..Do a small test NOT ON THE car to get the feel for how much harder it takes & how fast it kicks..using that you can gauge how much to add per batch you mix..Of course do this with the new gallon

Will do man I am really thankful for people like you man. I will follow your instructions to the T and I got both putty and filler odered and will be enroute in the A.M. both are evercoat and I was going to go with evercoat Gold rage but just stuck with the normal. I assume glaze mixes the same and I apply it the same. I am using my clean sheets finally so I know I am doing ti right just have to slow down and get it right. Thanks again brother and for everone else as well

I went with Evercoat Metalworks 416 Metal Glaze Polyester Putty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evercoat-416-Metal-Glaze-Polyester-Finishing-Blending-Putty-30oz-/220975353352?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item3373284e08&vxp=mtr

I've used quite a bit this stuff, I haven't tried a lot of other finish fillers but i'm sure theres plenty out there. This stuff works ok for me. Also you should not mix filler on cardboard. I have a plastic board I mix on then I clean it off with thinner on a rag each time that way its nice and clean for the next time.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/evercoat-glaze-it-finishing-putty-410-p-14782.aspx

this is for filling pin holes ,the Body Filler Q recommends is a good body filler but this is a finishing compound

2 Questions. 1 How old is your filler? Some times if it has been around for a long time it dries out, and loses its creamy texture. If you want to moisen it I have many times added some lacquer thinner and stired it back to creamy.

2. How long is it taking to apply it? As Q said the more hardner you add, the faster it will kick and you don't get long before it happens.Also the hotter the temp is the faster it kicks.

And finally why pay all the shipping and handling charges? When you can go to any of your local paint store and get what you want. And also the spot putty or glaze, whatever you want to call it. Just remember its SPOT putty and not made to be an overall filler. Its for your pits and scratches, and "SMALL" imperfections.

You mentioned sanding and how you get one side smooth and the other jacked up. What are you using to sand it?? No offense but if your a beginner I would suggest a long board and not a DA or other small sander.

Hey how is good old Fort Riley? I spent alittle over a year there in 70-71.. I was on custer hill. Battalion maint 1st- 63rd armor

1-63 is still here and it is Still Fort Riley. I use clean sheets which I love I was using the plastic tab in the back of my Assulat pack and cleaning it everytime but the clean sheets you use and throw the top one away and start right over. I have to pay shipping, there is only one place to get it here and it cost 75 dollars for the gallon compared to 75 shipped for glaze and filler.

You know how military towns are everything is ten times more because they love Soldiers,lol.

The filler was fresh maybe a couple weeks old, and I do think some of it had to do with heat, and maybe using too much hardner but I will only use the glaze to go over the filler as the final step as told to.

I am pretty good about mixing it and putting it right on no wait time. I have also read alot that said not to use thinner on filler because it will soak into the filler and attach to the metal.

Ill keep you guys posted and I am sure it will be easier. I have done this in the past but has been awhile. I have a long board, Sanding block, DA, finsher, and orbital. With all the tools in the world you figure I could make this happen,lol. Only time will tell.

The filler was fresh maybe a couple weeks old,

I am pretty good about mixing it and putting it right on no wait time. I have also read alot that said not to use thinner on filler because it will soak into the filler and attach to the metal.
Just because you bought the filler a few weeks ago dosn't mean it's fresh.who knows how long it sat before you bought it..Correct never use thinner for cleaning metal before body work or paint..Nor mix it into your fillers..If you want to smooth out the filler thin it you use this http://www.evercoat.com/productdetail.aspx?pid=15

Back