how to install 1/4 window trim ???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
1969 Bronco Sport
1964 Falcon
I was looking at replacing the rubber seal that between the 1/4 window and side window and it looks like it's pressed in between the inner and outer chrome piece.

Has anyone done it before? Any special tool or way of doing it?

Trying to get some insight before I prior it open with a screw driver and break something then have to go buy another one!

Thanks!

Guy

Last edited by a moderator:
slides out a little time consuming I replaced the one on passenger side of mine took a bit of tugging but came out and new one slides back in tight going back in as well . Got mine from Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply It has been a while since i did mine and if i remember correctly i spread mine open just a bit . someone will chime in with a better way of doing it i am sure

What Robert said, recently replaced mine, tight fit but they slide off, I started from the bottom and slowly pulled it up and off the glass. Just pray that someone didn't glue them on which isn't needed due to the tight fit.

What Robert said, recently replaced mine, tight fit but they slide off, I started from the bottom and slowly pulled it up and off the glass. Just pray that someone didn't glue them on which isn't needed due to the tight fit.
Did you have to pull the window off or were you able to do it with it on the car?

Thanks!

Guy the rubber and it's imbedded metal strip will slide down and out of the stainless trim, you don't take the stainless off the glass

You will need to pry open the stainless trim at the bottom [ under 1/4 post seal ] as they crimp it together - slightly

Remove the jamb vent and 1/4 post rubber seal.

Can be done with glass in the car but it is a PITA

Used lots of soapy water to help it slide

Have to remove a LOT of parts if you want to take the glass out.

Don

Thanks Don..Yah I just finished putting my interior in, then took back out my interior fender panels to put in the windlace. So I could pull it all back out again if need be doesn't take that long, but if I can do it on the car, that'd be nice.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mine were hard to take off so i sprayed a little pb blaster on it and let it sit for about a half hour, acame right off after that.

Just an update. I sprayed them with PB blaster, then let it sit. Came back an hour or so later and pulled them right out. Went to put the new ones in and wasn't able to slide them up, as the top of the new rubber with the slots had a closed off end. The only way I would be able to slide it up on the slots would be to make some incisions on the top and peel it back to slide it up.

As I was kind of messing with it, I noteced the stainless piece moved a little. I gave it a little tug and it popped off.

I was thinking, ohhh. that sucks, but then I sleeved the new rubber right on it nice and easy. I put some high strength epoxy on the inner edge and pinched the SST in just a hair, then pushed it back into place. Checked it 24 hrs later and it was really on there, so I left it. Did the same to the other side and it's good to go.

Not that it matters for me since I'm done with it, but maybe for someone else reading the thread, how are you supposed to slide it off from the bottom and then slide it back up with the rubber piece having the top closed? Seems that it's designed to slide in from the top, either with the window off or the stainless trim off?

As I was kind of messing with it, I noteced the stainless piece moved a little. I gave it a little tug and it popped off.

I was thinking, ohhh. that sucks, but then I sleeved the new rubber right on it nice and easy. I put some high strength epoxy on the inner edge and pinched the SST in just a hair, then pushed it back into place. Checked it 24 hrs later and it was really on there, so I left it.
Same thing here, my stainless trim came off pretty easy (easier than trying to remvoe the rubber while they were still mounted) so I just took them off, installed the new rubber than used some weatherstrip adhesive to stick the stainless trim back on the quarter window. I used weatherstrip adhesive rather than glue in case I have to remove them again, they fit really snug anyway. It also gave me chance to clean and polish the trim while I had it off.

I pulled my windows when replacing mine, it wasn't hard at all once the interior panels were out.

That does remind me though I HATE MY FOLD DOWN REAR SEAT! Sorry, I just had to vent about that heavy piece of crap.
I'll tell you what, drive over to California and I'll switch it out with my non-fold down seat for you free of charge!

Mines super light and a breeze to pull out!

That's just how I roll, always thinking of others!:D

Back