71 mach 1-- sprint colors?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
did they make a 1971 mustang with sprint colors, i talked ot osmeone who said they bought a car that had sprint colors like a 72 sprint fastback, but was a 71 m code car? anyone have any info on this im curious to maybe see a marti on it

the caris a mach 1

Last edited by a moderator:
did they make a 1971 mustang with sprint colors, i talked ot osmeone who said they bought a car that had sprint colors like a 72 sprint fastback, but was a 71 m code car? anyone have any info on this im curious to maybe see a marti on it

the caris a mach 1

In a word - no.

www.1972mustangsprint.com

Could this be a rare car I'm thinkin of doin a report to see what it says

I have learned to never say NEVER as it relates to what Ford may have done as it relates to building vehicles.

Who knows? While current information suggest the answer is "No", I must say that I wouldn't be surprised at what a Marti report might say.

BT

dcphotosprint.jpgSprintAd2.jpg1972 Mustang Sprint - Production & Historical Information

In 1972, Edsel B. Ford was the Merchandising Manager for the Ford Division. Only 24 years old, Edsel had a keen eye for automotive trends both good and bad. He was know to be fond of special trim packages. Ford directed his staff to come up with a saleable treatment that would be tailored to the Mustang, Maverick and Pinto product lines. The marketing boys came up with the Sprint Decor Option to celebrated the 1972 Olympics.

The Sprint Decor Option Package included; Classic white body paint with a racy splash of blue, and a sporty streak of red. Only ( 9,383 ) Mustang Sprints of varying body styles were produced between March and June of 1972.

The Sprint Decor Option Package represented less than ( 7.5% ) of all Mustang production in 1972. ( 125,813 Total Mustangs Produced in 1972 ).

All 1972 Mustang Sprints were produced in the Dearborn, Michigan plant. Most of the Mustang Sprints were built with the 2-barrel Cleveland V8 engines or with 302 2V Windsors. 388 Q-code 351 4 barrels sprints (mostly sportsroofs) and 414 6-cylinder powered cars (mostly coupes) were made.

TRIM CODE Identification

1972 Sprint Coupes and Sportsroofs had a unique TRIM code of ( HB ). The 50 Convertible's produced for the Cherry Blossom Parade had a TRIM code that was left ( blank ) on the vehicle dataplate.

In 1971, Ford did make a Special Spring Value edition hardtop that had the color-matched front bumper from the 1971 Mach 1, side stripes of the 1971 Boss, and grille mounted fog lamps and color-keyed side mirrors of both. The ad says, For Spring Only. A Mustang of a New Stripe. You take a classic Mustang Hardtop. right? (That practical, comfortable, stylish variety.) And a sports-car hood - NASA-type scoops and all. Add dual racing mirrors. Color-keyed Spoiler bumper. A unique grille with sport lamps. Brighten the sides with Boss tape stripes. Oh yes, and wide tires with special trim rings.

The lady in red says if you have a 71 sprint she would like a ride in it. ;)

Here is what I found on it

1971 Spring Sports Coupe

The "Sports Coupe". Just as the Grabbers had capitalized on the popular Boss cars, this model was dressed up to simulate a 351 Boss. 1971's Hardtop-only package retailed for $97 and incorporated a long list of desirable features: Boss side stripes (less letters), NASA hood, Mach I grille w/ 'sport' lamps, E70 x 14" whitewalls, hubcaps w/ trim rings, dual sport mirrors, and the Mach I's coordinated moulding/bumper group. Officially called the "hardtop special value package", this offer was available from March through May, 1971.

http://www.limited600mustang.net/specials.html

Here is what I found on it

1971 Spring Sports Coupe

The "Sports Coupe". Just as the Grabbers had capitalized on the popular Boss cars, this model was dressed up to simulate a 351 Boss. 1971's Hardtop-only package retailed for $97 and incorporated a long list of desirable features: Boss side stripes (less letters), NASA hood, Mach I grille w/ 'sport' lamps, E70 x 14" whitewalls, hubcaps w/ trim rings, dual sport mirrors, and the Mach I's coordinated moulding/bumper group. Officially called the "hardtop special value package", this offer was available from March through May, 1971.

http://www.limited600mustang.net/specials.html
Sounds to me like the 302 base Mach 1, without the Mach 1 lettering.

Back