Which belt goes where in the pulley?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
73 351C 2V with AC. Looks like the first pulley groove closest to the engine is for the AC (not reinstalling just yet), the middle one is for the alternator, and the outermost one for the power steering pump. Does that sound right? Looks like I don't have my harmonic balancer cinched down enough, because the grooves don't line up quite right. I'll do that first, then install the belts if that's where they're supposed to go.

Doc

Alternator belt to the alternator

Fan belt to the fan

power steering belt to the power steering pump

AC belt to the AC compressor

:p
Geez, Roy, thanks a lot for the "help"!

::help:: :D
LOL found this on another site:The two grooves on your water pump should line up with 2 grooves on the crank. If they are off just a little it isn't bad. One belt should go around crank, water pump and alt. The other belt goes around crank, water pump and PS.

This is a picture of a 429, so I don't know how applicable it is. Take it with a grain of salt! Maybe, just maybe, it'll give you a frame of reference:

ibh2ea.jpg

Inner ring: Crank-alternator.

Middle ring: Crank-water pump-PS pump.

Outer ring: Crank-water pump-AC Compressor-tensioning pulleys?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK pics always help, right? This is what I'm looking at:

351C Pulley System.JPG

351C Pulley system 2.JPG

What's missing from the water pump shaft, if anything (except the fan)? Anything look weird or wrong? Roy's directions sound like they should work, but there aren't two grooves for the water pump "pulley".

Just looked at all the pictures I took, and the pulley system seemed so mundane that I didn't take any pictures of it, and the Haynes manual shows a 302 as an example. :mad:

help......

Ditch that V-pulley setup and retrofit the 5.0 serpentine!

That's the picture I needed, Mike. I'm missing the pulley behind the fan. Gotta get it back from the kid that cleaned up some of my parts. Everything else lines up now.

THANKS!

Doc
Get the correct belt when you buy one.

Got mine from Marti Auto. Believe me,

not all belts are created equal. Put on a set

with a reputable name and it turns

out the belts did not exactly match the groove

in the pulley. Ok until you reach 4000 rpm and

then they began to squeal. So pay the $20/belt

and do it right.

mike

Good tip, Mike. I paid $27 for the fruitin' PS belt and thought I got ripped off. Glad to hear that it's worth it to buy good belts (mine's a 'Gator belt, which are NASCAR approved I guess).

Thanks again - I'm painting the pulley right now, and hope to post up first fire up video this afternoon! :):):)

Good tip, Mike. I paid $27 for the fruitin' PS belt and thought I got ripped off. Glad to hear that it's worth it to buy good belts (mine's a 'Gator belt, which are NASCAR approved I guess).

Thanks again - I'm painting the pulley right now, and hope to post up first fire up video this afternoon! :):):)
It is not just the fact the belts have the proper Concours markings

but they actually fit the car properly.

For example: http://www.martiauto.com/itemselection.cfm?item=BP-22&selecteditem=yes

mike

Ditch that V-pulley setup and retrofit the 5.0 serpentine!
Would that work with a 351 cleveland?

I have been thinking of a swap for mine
Though about getting a serpentine system on my Cleveland but,

every time I have tried to enhance the Cleveland's basic performance I have gotten into trouble.

mike

OK pics always help, right? This is what I'm looking at:

What's missing from the water pump shaft, if anything (except the fan)? Anything look weird or wrong? Roy's directions sound like they should work, but there aren't two grooves for the water pump "pulley".

Just looked at all the pictures I took, and the pulley system seemed so mundane that I didn't take any pictures of it, and the Haynes manual shows a 302 as an example. :mad:

help......
Is that a spacer I see behind the long bolt through the power steering pump bracket (that mounts to the head)? I removed mine over 2 years ago and forgot all about it. I rehabbed my brackets, picked up a new pump and hoses, and even test-fitted everything on Sunday, but [apparently] with no spacer the pump rides against the shock tower.

Believe it or not Doc, your pictures have been especially valuable to me (in getting my bracketry back in order).

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are aware there are different size V belts as in different width/depth right? In Australia they are designated 10A, 11A and 13A can all come in the same length but are all different widths/depths for different pulleys. In the US I think they are A, B, C, D sizes?

Back