Mustang A/C kits. What are the options and where to begin?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archifx

Reaction score
My Car
72' Mustang Fastback (Mach1 Wannabe :)
Hello friends, was wondering if anyone knew of an alternative source to get an air conditioning kit besides classic auto air. Their complete kit is a whopping $1500. No trying to be a cheapskate but I was wondering if anyone has had success with an alternate option? All feedback is appreciated as this will be my next project on the ol 72.

Well, when you get done, please post a complete parts list of what is needed. Based on what I have seen you need:

Compressor

New Heater Box For AC Evaporator

Return Line(s)

Supply Line(s)

Center Console Vent

Wire Harness

Relocate Power Steering Pump/Bracket?

Depending on your engine/radiator you may need to upgrade your radiator for the extra load. The air conditioner itself may require a separate set of fins as well.

Well, when you get done, please post a complete parts list of what is needed. Based on what I have seen you need:

Compressor

Return Line(s)

Supply Line(s)

Center Console Vent

Wire Harness

Depending on your engine/radiator you may need to upgrade your radiator for the extra load. The air conditioner itself may require a separate set of fins as well.
I have a seperate condenser bolted to the front of the radiator. Since it's a 429 setup I don't know if that is standard or not, but I'd be willing to bet that it is. The PS pump is not affected it looks like, but I may be wrong. The fins for the PS pump bolt to the compressor bracket on mine and the fins wrap around the top of it. I can post pics if necessary. So, pretty much all the stuff you listed except maybe the PS pump bracket, plus the condenser.

My kit came from Classic Auto Air. It is based in Texas if I remember correctly, altough I ordered it through the Mustang Shop in Alberta, Canada. With shipping and the almighty taxes it cost me almost $ 1700.00 Canadian. It was pretty staight forward to install, although I had to have a hydraulic hose custom made because the one in the kit was too short. I thought working with older gear or trying to mix and match parts would cost more ultimately in time and functionality.

Last edited by a moderator:
My kit came from Classic Auto Air. It is based in Texas if I remember correctly, altough I ordered it through the Mustang Shop in Alberta, Canada. With shipping and the almighty taxes it cost me almost $ 1700.00 Canadian. It was pretty staight forward to install, although I had to have a hydraulic hose custom made because the one in the kit was too short. I thought working with older gear or trying to mix and match parts would cost more ultimately in time and functionality.
What, you need A/C in Nova Scotia! :D

What, you need A/C in Nova Scotia! :D
Yes, it actually does get hot here in the summers. Sorry to burst that bubble. Haha. just joking around. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this thread. I installed a Classic Auto Air kit in my car about 2 years ago. Can't speak to the power steering issue as I have armstrong steering, but otherwise the kit went on with no major hitches. Wiring it is very easy, but calls for a 25 amp fuse where the 14 amp was. Not gonna happen, physically won't fit. I wired a fuse into the circuit separately. Keep in mind that the change in refrigerants requires old systems to be converted and old condenser tube size is not optimum. Mine cools effectively in 100+ heat .

One note, the clamp for the temperature control cable that comes with the kit is just a flat piece of metal. it needs to be clamped with the lower .300 in a vice and bent appx 30 degrees. If your vice leaves a knurling impression so much the better. You do not want to have to pull the dash apart to get to that for one stupid repair. I also found a set of original center vents at a Pull A Part for next to nothing. They transitioned in to the new system easily with a bit of duct tape. (I don't feel bad for using duct tape on ducts)

Honestly, it is such a clean system and so easy to install (not to mention far less HP robbing than an old Tecumsah compressor) that to me $1,500.00 was not out of line. Start pricing stock compressors condensor's AC lines dryers etc, and the $1500 looks like the bargain it is.

Old Air Products makes a similar unit for a few hundred less.

My only complaint with the Classic Auto Air unit is the way the re-use your existing HVAC cable controls. Vintage Air makes units that have electric servos, rather than cable controls, which is more desirable, IMHO (might as well get rid of all the old tech, ya know?).

The only bad thing about Vintage Air, is that they don't make a kit for our cars.

The Old Air kit looks nice as well, but again - cable controls, and there isn't even a kit available for a 351C. Hafta buy a specific kit, then get a separate bracket for 'only' $225. Or, maybe they'll put one together if one were to inquire. Might be worth it.[/size]

Reusing your old controls is actually simple and maintains a stock look. But if you want, their dampers are electrically activated and the upper control really just flips one of two micro switches, so with the exception of the heater control valve, their cable system could easily be replaced by switches or buttons or knobs. They even make the panels for hot rods, just call and talk to them and they can adapt a kit to use electronic controls to my understanding

Compressor

Return Line(s)

Supply Line(s)

Center Console Vent

Wire Harness

I have a seperate condenser bolted to the front of the radiator. Since it's a 429 setup I don't know if that is standard or not, but I'd be willing to bet that it is. The PS pump is not affected it looks like, but I may be wrong. The fins for the PS pump bolt to the compressor bracket on mine and the fins wrap around the top of it. I can post pics if necessary. So, pretty much all the stuff you listed except maybe the PS pump bracket, plus the condenser.
HI,

I am collecting material to install AC in my 429 environment. This car was an original factory AC car but all components except the heater box and the center board controls were gone.

I have now purchaed a reman York compressor, condenser, dryer and the pulley system with idler wheels and brackets. What is missing are the hoses, service valves and something else ?....

I my wiring harness there are three cables cut on top of the engine which I believe have something to do with the AC system.

Can you help in giving me info about the wires - which are needed to connect ( the color code) to the compressor and the clutch.

There is a set of hoses ( all four) available in the ebay for 272 USD but I am not sure if they will fit ( especially the connections to the condenser and dryer) as they are for the original AC factory installation and my components may not have the same dimensions....

Can you send some photos + this info, please !

Back