First Fire Up!! Yahoo!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
OK! Got all of the important pieces back together:

Engine 4-8-12.JPG

Engine 4-8-12 2.JPG

Engine 4-8-12 3.JPG

Then my helper from the school shop class dropped by to help fire her up. After some issues with the loose starter wire, poor ground, and such, we got her to crank and found her to be one (or more) tooth off when I installed the distributor. Here's what it looked (and sounded) like:

But Easter dinner will not take back seat to even a 1 1/2 year engine rebuild's first break in. Should be able to finish up tomorrow night. Yahoo!

The great news is it's all back together again and no knocks or other weird stuff. Just need to reinstall the distributor correctly and break that baby in!! :):):)

Doc

Your either a tooth off, or mistake a Chevy for a Cleveland....(haven't had a Chevy joke in a couple of days....)

Actually, I wouldn't have any idea what your issue would be. Hopefully someone else here can give you an idea.

2 Suggestion.

1. Make sure you have oil in the valve covers. I have left the grommets out so I could see that I got oil flow.

2. Should have a timing light on the motor.

I am envious...we should have some type of celebration every time someone fires up a motor. Suggestions???? I am thinking Doc sends everyone a bottle of champagne!!!

Thanks for the video...HAPPY EASTER!!!

God Bless America.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to add that I went through a tough time after the machine shop(s) were done with the short block. It sat on the engine stand wrapped in plastic in my garage for nearly 5 months because I couldn't get the motivation to get her installed back into the car and then clean, paint, and install the many small brackets and parts, in addition to the new performance parts.

A buddy installed the motor for me as a Christmas present just because he had experience with Mustangs and knew what was going on with my motivation. From there, a little bit here and a lotta bit there snowballed into where I am right now. I'll be thanking more than a couple of people for their help, especially all you guys who provided information and motivation.

Here's a post from a long time ago that I thought of many times:

mach71351c Wrote:

(01-31-2011 07:31 PM)73vertproject Wrote:

True, true, true. My greatest fear is having to sell her as a great chassis and 1000 drivetrain pieces for $1000. Yikes!

Doc

We at this site will not let that happen.

Even if we have to come to Winnemucca to assist with reassembly.

Jeff T.

I almost took you guys up on that!!

Anyway, tomorrow is another day. Peace.

Doc

Couple of other easy things to check(perhaps someone here can confirm these tips as well):

Confirm your ignition wires are going to the right plugs.

79590d1253826941-firing-order-spark-plug-gap-fo-351-400-302ho.jpg

Something else worthwhile:

1. Remove spark plug #1

2. Rotate the crankshaft to make sure #1 is at top dead center when the damper is at 0 degrees at the timing mark.

3. Confirm the rotor under the distributor cap is pointing to plug #1 or #6. If at #1, then you are on compression stroke. If at #6 you are at exhaust stroke. Should be ok in either case(unless your camshaft is off 180 degrees which is very very very unlikely)

One thing i do to check is pull number 1 plug and remove valve cover then take a piece of small vacuum hose ( the size for dist. advance ) insert into number one cylinder then rotate engine until number one plug is at top of travel and make sure both intake and exhaust valves are closed for number 1 cylinder ( that will be the compression stroke ) and see where dist. is pointing to . takes any guess work out that way

OK Doc.. Glad to see things getting close to Rolling her out. ::chili::

Alan L

Doc let me know the timing spec's you end up with. I'm still playing with timing as I AM SURE THE MOTORS ARE CLOSELY BUILT, and I know my engine has more to give.

Alan L

Congrats on getting her going. For some reason I always wonder if mine is going to start when I turn the key, but so far has not let me down yet (knock on wood).

Latest posts

Back