Rusty Cowl

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 351-2v Convertible
1973 351-2v Mach 1
1973 351-4V Q code Mach 1
64.5 Coupe
65 convertible
65 cobra kirkham
I'm tearing into my '73 convertible cowl to repair pine needle rust. Bought it a couple of years ago and been working on drivetrain. I have finished rebuilding the 351 Cleveland powerplant, powdercoating most parts and improving things along the way. Now I'm cleaning the engine compartment getting it ready for paint and I knew the outer panel had rusted thru to the inner panel. I drilled thru the spotwelds today and found more rust. On a hunch, I stuck my camera in the cowl and took some pics and found worse damage. I can see the interior insulation in the one picture.

I have to replace the windshield anyway, so now the cowl has to come out and I'll pull the dash and AC/heat assy. also to get them out of the way.

More work...oh well. I know it'll be done right.

cowl1.jpg

cowl2.jpg

cowl3.jpg

Just wrapped up the exact same project cycle--engine rebuild, cowl, windshield. Looks like either a repaint or fixing transmission leaks will be next... Good luck with your project!

Keep up the good work, RacerX. Looking good!
Thanks for the encouragement. I've already got the AOD built with 4R70W internals and fresh torque converter with furnace brazed vanes by a local shop. Waiting on the stainless lines to arrive from CJ Pony. I had the steering box and pump completely rebuilt at another local shop. All new braking system with braided stainless flex lines. I'm not cutting corners on this build. I've built many cars for others, this is the first one to complete that is ours.

Here's the engine on the run in stand at my buddy's shop.

351C on stand.jpg

351C-2 on stand.jpg

351c-running-1.wmv

Attachments

• 351c-running-1.wmv
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
I just tore all mine apart as well and I found alot of pits and brittle pieces, it looks like you are on the right path for fidning it and fixing as you go. Keep us updated and keep the picture flowing

2d6l0ll.jpg

208d8ab.jpg

I just tore all mine apart as well and I found alot of pits and brittle pieces, it looks like you are on the right path for fidning it and fixing as you go. Keep us updated and keep the picture flowing

2d6l0ll.jpg

208d8ab.jpg
Russ, in that second pic it looks like someone added a small patch while the fender was still on.

You might want to peel that off and see whats under it

Don

I'm tearing into my '73 convertible cowl to repair pine needle rust. Bought it a couple of years ago and been working on drivetrain. I have finished rebuilding the 351 Cleveland powerplant, powdercoating most parts and improving things along the way. Now I'm cleaning the engine compartment getting it ready for paint and I knew the outer panel had rusted thru to the inner panel. I drilled thru the spotwelds today and found more rust. On a hunch, I stuck my camera in the cowl and took some pics and found worse damage. I can see the interior insulation in the one picture.

I have to replace the windshield anyway, so now the cowl has to come out and I'll pull the dash and AC/heat assy. also to get them out of the way.

Did mine last year,. posted some pix of the carnage..

DSCF6306.JPG

DSCF6308.JPG

DSCF6309.JPG

DSCF6633.JPG

DSCF6636.JPG

DSCF6638.JPG

DSCF6642 (1).JPG

DSCF6643.JPG

Your right, more work, but you will know you fixed it right the first time.

How is the water going to drain out off the cowl?

I give you alot of credit for attempting that repair..But looking at those pictures I can tell you right now it's not going to stand the test of time..

I dammed it to the front where it's open and then drilled a drain hole in case any water gets around the dam.

Then I sealed the over the water tight welds and surface area with POR15 and tested it before I seemed it up. The water flows like a river out of the drain. No leaks!

As a metal fabricator and car builder for over 20 years, I am confident that this will not only oultast my life, but my kids as well. Past that time, I am not too concerned!

Last edited by a moderator:
Guy,

It sounds like you sectioned off the area with around the air hats and have the cowl's center part draining straight into the engine compartment - which makes me wonder why Ford didn't go with that option. Sure would've saved some hassle (at least around the air vents, that is). Nice welds, BTW - wish mine were that nice. :)

Here's a couple shots of mine - I had to piece it all back together since I originally harvested the front clip off my donor car, and later went back for the cowl (the 'yard dawgs cut right through the middle of both air hats).

384057_345623762115215_100000027814872_1332229_491809660_n.jpg

403241_346970995313825_100000027814872_1335796_1616221933_n.jpg

399570_350215678322690_100000027814872_1343970_617453024_n.jpg

400203_350978671579724_100000027814872_1346758_994482542_n.jpg

397295_355150127829245_100000027814872_1356836_1464207760_n.jpg

407486_355150137829244_100000027814872_1356837_1737895584_n.jpg

Lots of work involved, no matter how much damage is under there.

I dammed it to the front where it's open and then drilled a drain hole in case any water gets around the dam.

Then I sealed the over the water tight welds and surface area with POR15 and tested it before I seemed it up. The water flows like a river out of the drain. No leaks!

As a metal fabricator and car builder for over 20 years, I am confident that this will not only oultast my life, but my kids as well. Past that time, I am not too concerned!
Guy, I hope you didn't take any insult to my comment..If you did I didn't mean any..I was just stating what I saw as a someone with over 25 years of experience doing this day in & day out for a living..Bottom line is, doesn't matter what I think..What matters is that it's your car..your repair..=Your Happy !!:)

Cowl4.jpgcowl5.jpg

Here's my updates. pulled windshield and dash and A/C - found out how bad it is. Pretty rotten.

Drilling spotwelds.....

Back